Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The Herp sin

PanTech

Reaction score
So my brother has been interested in getting some caudates since i got my white's tree frogs, and yesterday he did the unthinkable. He went to a pet store, and bought some fire bellied newts.:mad: Its not the first time hes pulled this act, even tho ive told him never to buy animals from these stores. So i dont know what to do. He has them set up in his room, so i lent him one of my Fluval filters, for the 30 gallon tank we had lying around. Hes also using bags of riverbed sand(exo terra), some clay pots, and live plants he bought at the pet store. He doesnt even have a LID for the tank! so i told him to tape up the sides to create about 2 1/2 inches of overhang. Anyway there are no escapes yet, and i am helping him make a screen top right as we speak. The newts are quite small, measuring a little under 2 inches. I just need to know how deep the water should b for these guys, whats the best food, and anything else you think we should know. Here are some pictures:

Note from John: Moved to the help section. Please don't post basic questions in the Advanced Section.

Attachments

• DSCN3919.jpg
    DSCN3919.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 210
  • DSCN3916.jpg
    DSCN3916.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCN3915.jpg
    DSCN3915.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCN3897.jpg
    DSCN3897.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCN3914.jpg
    DSCN3914.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 220

oregon newt

Reaction score
Well, it looks like you have enough water. I'm no expert at this species, but at that size I might give them a little land area as they might not be fully aquatic. I would also take out the lucky bamboo as I believe that is not an aquatic plant. It also doesn't sound like the aquarium is cycled, which is why you should do frequent water changes until it is or transfer someestablished filter media from another tank. Go to Caudata Culture.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
From what i see in the pictures i´d say that even though they are probably young, they look adult. This means that ideally they should be aquatic. But i also see in the pictures that the newts hang in the surface, trying to get out. That means they need to be terrestrial. If you force them to stay aquatic they might even drown.
It could also be that since the tank is not cycled, the water quality is not right and the newts don´t want to be aquatic in such conditions. Temperature might also be a factor.

I´d offer them some terrestrial area, like a piece of cork bark, and see if they use it. If they do, and refuse to go into the water, then keeping them ina quarantine type terrestrial set-up would be better.

Once they are fully aquatic you should use all the aquarium volume as water area. The more water the better.

As far as food goes, earthworms are the best. Bloodworms are also good, and you can also offer waxworms, daphnia, blackworms, small crickets...

I´m glad that you have such an opinion about WC animals....but as a small brother myself, i can say that we tend to do the opposite to what our brothers say xD
The damage is done, hopefully in the future your brother will realize that buying from WC is not a good choice for him as hobbyists and for the species. Now make sure they are taken good care of :)

PanTech

Reaction score
I havent spent very much time with my brothers newts this past week but from what I have seen, he is feeding them frozen bloodworms with tweezers. From what he tells me only one of the newts spends most of the time in the water the other 3 stay on land with part of their body in the water. Temperatures have been an issue right now as I am using the fan attachment and much freezer space storing ice packs for my crested newts. Feels like its time to get a chiller :bowl:. I have also provided my brother with what Test Kits I have (Nitrate,pH), hopefully he is monitoring such things :wacko:. The filter is also not being obstructed by anything creating quite a bit of current...probably not very ideal for these small newts.

will try to keep you posted

oregon newt

Reaction score
You'll also need Ammonia and Nitrite test kits, as those are the first things that spike when you are going through a cycle.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1