Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello all! Another new Axlotol owner :) (UK)

Cliff

Reaction score
All advice is greatly appreciated!
Hey everyone,
I am new to Caudates and have aquired 3 axies about 3 days ago from a previous owner who had to get rid of them as he was moving house. nd this seems the best site and/or community for axolotl info I have found! :D

I have 2 male "golden" albinos and one female wild type (A breeding pair and tank mate, they all get on well.)

With them I got thier 122 X 30 X 46 tank, fine sand, air stones and various bits of filter and a power head, a mussel, large pebbles, some wood and live plants.

The tank is 2/3rds full with dechlorinated+dechloramined water, I am checking the amonia, nitrates and pH daily.
I am currently only using the two small air stones on a low setting at either end of the tank and removing uneaten food and err...:uhoh: 'debris' as soon as it appears. Atm I am reluctant to use the submersibal fluval incase it raises the temp too much(which reminds me, I must get a thermometer today).
I haven't cleaned any of the stuff I got with it to try and keep as much of the tanks original friendly bacteria.

I have been doing extensive research so I can keep them as best as possible but still a newb so advice, pointers and tips are muchly welcome.

Pics to follow a little later, dont want to make this post too long!
Thanks!
Cliff

Clairey Beary

Reaction score
Hi Cliff, Welcome to the forum. It might be best to post any questions into the axolotl section of the forum, you will get more replies there from other owners and axolotl enthusiasts. Please post pics in the axie gallery too if you can :O)

Claire

Ps, i think you're the only other axolotl owner on here from Sunderland. Thats where i am from too but moved to Jarrow.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1