Question: Too small to put in with adult?

Abberzoo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Abberzoo
I have a large adult who measures about 9 inches.
I have a bunch of babies as well, the biggest of which is a little over 5 inches.
Is he too small still to put in with the adult?

As a rule of thumb, unless they are within the inche bigger or smaller, yes. Theyre too small to put in with the adult. You dont plan to put the whole bunch of babies in with the adult do you?

Mark

No, not the whole bunch!
I am only keeping 3 for myself and was planning on introducing the one at a time as they get big enough.

White size tank do you have?

Mark

What are the dimensions? The dimensions are more important than the gallonage. I probably should have noted that. I wouldnt reccommend 4 adult axies in anything smaller than a standard 55gal footprint (48x13'' on the bottom, generally 21" high, but that doesnt matter as much.) If its a 40 breeder, you should be okay, but its still stretching it in my opinion.

Mark

Mine is 31 inches long x 13 inches wide x 13 inches tall.
There are lots of plants and a couple hides.
I just bought a large 60 gallon tank to switch over to when I need to.

Keep the babies in the 40gal until theyre about the same size as the other, then put all 5 together in the 60gal. What are the dimensions of the 60?

Mark

Well, I have been feeding them like crazy so that they will grow faster. I have a total of 4 small storage containers on my kitchen counter full of babies! I can't wait to find homes for all of them!!!

The measurements of the 60 gallon are: 42 inches long x 18 inches tall x 18 inches deep

Hi Abberzoo,

I agree with Mark, the closer the size the less likelyhood of aggressive behaviour as a general rule. I would keep them seperate while you get your 60 gallon tank established and cycled by that time they could well be much closer in size.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great advice and info!
I will try to find a tank stand for my 60 gallon and move my adult to that one and put my babies in the 40 gallon.
Thank you all!
Anyone live in Northern California that would be interested in buying some babies?:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back