Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Desperate newbie, please save my axy!

agalryunaer

Reaction score
Hi,

First of all, I have to say its a great work you guys have here, impressive.

Ok, I've come to realize I have huge problems with my care for my axolotl. I have Leviathan for almost two months I asked recommendations in the pet shop and they told me just to use bottled water and change it every two weeks. From some research I learned that I had to keep the water and I've been doing that, but obviously I wasn't aware about the cycling part of having a running tank.

About feeding, they told me to feed him meat every 3 days. And I've been doing it since day 1. A week ago he stopped caring about food. That's when I figured out I was having a problem and learned about temperature, cycling, PH, NH3 and NH4.

At first sight he seems Ok to me (he moves as usually, swims a little, etc.) but now I've read about the stress signs (tail and gills) and I think he got both signs and I'm desperate to make him get well.

The only tests available in my local market where from a brand named azoo I've got the ph test and the nh3/nh4 ones and they read quite normal. PH is at 7.0 and the nh levels as los as 0.1

About the temperature, well it is right now at a 21C to 24C I know that is high but acceptable from what I've read. Will it lower if I get the tank at floor level?

I've added pics so you can tell me what is wrong with my Axolotl, please I'm begging you, help me. The health of Leviathan is top priority to me.

Thank you dearly,
Eduardo Rodríguez

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Hi Eduardo,

1. your picture links don't work for me.

2. from your description it dosen't sound very dire

A lot of axies on a poor diet, quit eating. A lot of axies who are fed a lot, quit eating.

I don't know where your images are hosted but this website doesn't allow images from some websites. You could load the pictures to your profile album on this site and then link the post to the album.

agalryunaer

Reaction score
Thanks, I just noticed it, here are my images.

Attachments

• STP62161.jpg
    STP62161.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 379
  • STP62162.jpg
    STP62162.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 355
  • STP62163.jpg
    STP62163.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 323
  • STP62166.jpg
    STP62166.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 326

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Hi again.

Ok I don't see that he is at deaths door. Maybe a bit unhappy. You're taking care of his water conditions. Now you need to fix the gravel situation and his diet.

That kind of gravel is BAD. It causes impaction. That is a possibility here but not certain.

axolotl.org has all the information you need to improve his diet. Try to get the tank to cool down too. You should see a turn around in his appetite soon.

If he is acting REALLY distressed you should refridgerate him. This slows his metabolism and lets his body heal while he rests in cool comfort.

agalryunaer

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your recommendations Sharon, I'll take your advise and do the corrections to the tank as soon as possible.

Now I hate to ask, but I'm not sure what kind of gravel should I get. I read the gravel had to be bigger than the axolotl's mouth to avoid absorption, I had no idea there where other aspects of the gravel to take into consideration. My English is not perfect, so I'm not quite sure what you mean with impaction, like getting hurt with the gravel while swimming?

Again, thanks a lot for your concern.

Eduardo Rodríguez

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Sand is best. Or nothing on the bottom of the tank at all. The gravel in your tank is definitely small enough for him to eat.

Impaction means a stone would get suck in the intestines - stopping food from going in or out.

bex255

Reaction score
It's actually better not to use gravel, but aquarium sand/children's play sand, or to use nothing at all and have a bare bottom. I'm not entirely sure what impaction entails from the inside, but it's when they accidentally consume the gravel with their food, as their open mouths create a suction that will suck in the gravel, and then the rocks get stuck in their digestive system or take a long time to pass, neither of which is good.

If you do use gravel, I think they have to be at least bigger than the whole head of your axie, not just their mouth, because their mouths expand quite a lot when opened.

Here are some useful links
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/setups1.shtml

Also, for cooling down the tank, this link has quite a few good ideas, as you are on upper range limit of temperature
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

It might be a good idea to give your axolotl a few hiding spaces, eg a hollow log, pot plant, cave etc as they like to hide.

Good luck getting everything under control :)

ianclick

Reaction score
I agree with Sharon and Bex,

Your axolotl looks fine perhaps a little bit stressed but nothing major. Have a look in the gallery here at some tank setups there are some really good and simple ideas.

You definately need to get some plants real or fake and some hides/caves axolotls like to have places to hide.
If you foolow the links and advise given by Sharon and Bex you and your axolotl should be fine.

Good Luck

agalryunaer

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys you've all been really helpful. In the morning I'll do the tank's maintenance and apply all your advices. Sorry to act all desperate but after reading a little in here I figured out I had no idea how to take good care of my axy

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi agalryunaer,

I got my first axolotl given to me with all the wrong advice also. Better to be safe than sorry, there is no harm in asking and there is a huge pool of collective knowledge here. Keep us posted with how you are going.

Good luck

agalryunaer

Reaction score
Hi again,

I was about to fix my gravel situation with sand when I had an idea: Would it be bad to cover the existing gravel with the sand instead of removing it? I'm wondering because I think there is where the good bacteria lives and since I wasn't aware of the cycling process I'm not sure if I can afford loosing my bacteria.

Thank you guys,

Eduardo R.

agalryunaer

Reaction score
cow meat and liver. I'm searching for a better axolotl food and so far I just found a dried bloodworm can. I'm deciding if I should buy that now or order via mail some newt pellets, but that might take 2 weeks.

In my local petshops feeding options are quite limited :(.

agalryunaer

Reaction score
New update: I just got some plants, sand and rocks to make his home better. I'll upload photos as soon as I finish setting it up.

I've read its normal behavior, but he tends to go to the surface more frequently and sometimes stays floating, is it a sign of something?

Thanks you,
Eduardo R.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Eduardo,

Firstly occasional surfacing or floating for short periods is normal and nothing to worry about. However, if the axie remains floating for prolonged periods, especially coupled with other signs of illness or stress, i would first ensure that the water parameters and temperature are optimal. That means 0 ammonia, nitrites and <60 nitrates with a temprature range between 16-18 degree celsius. Poor water chemistry and temperature are arguably the number 1 cause of axie floating. Other possibilities include gas accumulation within the alimentary tract as a result of constipation or in some cases impaction of gravel.

The diet of beef and liver is not appropriate as a staple food source. Suitable staples are axie pellets, earthworms, bloodworms and blackworms. Occasional treats can include bits of fish, shrimp and beef. I do not advocate feeding livers, especially raw. Livers contain enzymes and concentrated amount of vitamin A. Prolonged excessive feeding of livers can result in malnutrition (due to enzymes breaking down some nutrients) and also vitamin A poisoning. Excess consumption of vitamin A is toxic and can cause liver problems, neurological problems and even death.

Have a read through these links.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms.shtml

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms2.shtml

Cheers

agalryunaer

Reaction score
Rayson, thanks a lot for sharing that useful information.

About the floating, well he does it for short periods, but he is doing it constantly now.

I tested for amonia on friday and the levels were at 0 and the PH at 7.0 The water temperature is in a steady 20C-22C, which I know its not optimal but is not extreme as far as I've read. This is the next issue I think I'll have to correct I think.

In previous replies some of the forum members told me to change the gravel to sand, give him some hiding places and get some plants. I've been working on that today and I'm pretty satisfied with the results.

However I still don't have axolotl pellets, since they don't sell them in my local acuarium shops. All I could find is a can of freeze dried bloodworms, is that ok? If so, I'll buy it first thing in the morning tomorrow.

Question:
Since he is not eating and the previos gravel was a poor choice I'm starting to think impactation is a possibility, what should I do about it?

I'm uploading photos of my new tank setup so you can tell me if it is ok, also there is a pic of his tail status which I think is still a clear stress sign. Should I start considering the fridge method?

Really guys, thanks a lot for your help, you are a great caring community

Eduardo Rodríguez

Attachments

• STP62206.jpg
    STP62206.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 416
  • STP62187.jpg
    STP62187.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 366
  • STP62180.jpg
    STP62180.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 278

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Eduardo,

Some axies are more sensitive to elevated temperature and can display signs of stress even at higher end of 'normal'. Hence in my posts, i always advise a temperature range of 16-18 degree celsius. You might like to try cooling your tank.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

Have you also checked for nitrite levels? Ammonia and nitrites are toxic and axies can get affected even if there are trace amounts.

Sand substrate and hiding spots are fantastic and i am glad you are heeding the advice of the other members.

Sometimes bloodworms can be obtained in a gel pack or frozen cube form. These would be much more nutritious. Try asking the aquariums if they stock these. Freeze dried anything loses a lot of essential nutrition. They are not recommended.

The curled tail tip is a sign of stress. If you worry about impaction, the best would be to fridge the axie. Fridging destresses the axie, boosts the immune system and faciliates the passage of impacted material through the alimentary tract. I would recommend you fridge for 3 weeks.

http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Fridging.shtml

Cheers.

agalryunaer

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice Rayson.

I checked both of your articles and they are really helpful, now I'm trying to figure out what kind of cooling method I could use to keep my water temperature under the 20C.

About the food: My local market is very limited so after a long research I found some pellets in another city, after a phone calls I think I'll be able to get some newt pellets in 3 days. Should I go with these instead of the dried bloodworms? I'm getting really scared since he stopped eating last more than a week ago.

As time passes, I'm getting more and more convinced that Leviathan needs a good freezing. That method scared the hell out of me at first, but after I read your article I think it might not be a bad idea at all. But I have a few question before I get to it.

How do I feed him? Should I just leave some food with him in there all day long or remove it after 30 minutes?

How do I change the water? And by that I mean, where do I put Leviathan? I think this is very important since changing temperatures I guess is pretty bad.

Thanks a lot, I'll wait for your reply

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Eduardo,

Yes the pellets would be a good idea. Meanwhile, if your axie is still feeding, i would suggest you continue to feed it. Having some food is better than no food during the waiting period. If you still have the bloodworms, you can still feed that. You can also supplment with small portions of shrimp/prawns. They tend to be quite the appetite stimulant. If you can get hold of any live blackworms of earthworms, they are even better.

Remember to follow the instructions on fridging. You put the axie in the fridge (5 degree celsius) not the freezer where things turn into ice. Putting the axie into the freezer will kill it.

If you intend to fridge your axie, its best to use a container (like an ice cream tub). Get one that is big enough to allow the axie to stretch out its limb and tail comforably. It shouldn't make the axie cramped or positioned in an awkward manner. A lid is necessary. You can perforate the lid or use a mesh netting as a lid. You only need to fill the tub enough to cover the axie's back but not deep such that the axie floats. The water will need to be changed daily.

When fridging, the water will be constantly kept cold (5 degree ish). As such, you can prepare bottles of clean dechlorinated water in advance. These bottles are to be kept in the fridge as well for your daily water changes. This would prevent shocks due to temperature change.

You can try offering the axie the food via fingers or forceps. Waving it in front of the face can draw its attention and stimuate feeding. You can also leave some food with the axie in the tub. I would recommend a single live earthworm or a small cluster of live blackworms. Since they remain alive for a period of time, they don't tend to foul up the water. You can also leave a small piece of shrimp or a pellet etc., however, they would need to be removed after 30 minutes if not eaten. Axies are crepuscular, meaning they are most active during dawn and dusk. Feeding them during these hours tend to be more successful.

Cheers.

Vidofner

Reaction score
I didnt read all posts here so excuse me if im repeating what someone said.

I use frozen shrimps to feed my axies. The really love it. Just defreeze them under running water and cut them up to small enough pieces so that your axie dont need to strugle to eat it. My two 15 cm big axies gets pieces that are about 1-1,5 cm big (half a shrimp). Just remember that with this diet you need to sometimes give them something else. Some form of high protein food since shrimp don't have much protein. Shrimps are very cheap and they love it.

If your axolotl is stressed it might be due to waterflow. They dont like to have high waterflow so if your filter/pump is pumping out to much try relocate it so it doesn't causes so much disturbance.

When i bought my tank for my axies i had a 1000L/h filter, which is way to much. As a temporary solution i put the filter in the bottom of the tank and had the outtake of it pumping straight up, thereby causing as little disturbance as possible. Today i have a smaller filter though.

The stress signs could also be due to lack of hiding places.

I don't think you really got anything to worry about, maybe he's a little stressed by that's not something fatal and you should be able to fix it without much work. Remember that axolotlers like it much better if they have someone to play with, so consider buying another axolotl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1