Axolotl cross tiger salamander

Jye

Muted for unacceptable behaviour
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Someone told me that axolotls have tiger salamander genes. Is this true?

Someone told me that axolotls have tiger salamander genes. Is this true?
Not true wild Axolotls, but all axies in the hobby have Tiger genes... From what I understand it comes from a group at the Paris Natural History Museum in the 60s, but I might be wrong....

The "standard" laboratory axolotls were wild type or leucistic and originated from an import to Europe via the Jardin des Plantes Paris in the 1860's. The albino gene was introduced (with great difficulty) from an albino tiger salamander a century later.

If your axolotl has pink eyes it definitely has a chunk of Tiger DNA. There may be a few lines of wild type and leucistics around which do not contain tiger chromosomes, but unless you have a pedigree there is no way of knowing.

Wow! I had no idea. I simply thought that albino axolotls were simply bred to be that way in laboratories. I learn something new every day. I would give you some more "rep" oceanblue...but it says I need to spread some around. Haha. Cheers-

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back