Grieving Axolotl?

User Name

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well since my axolotl Manuel passed away his friend has been showing a curled tail a lot. Just this morning I noticed a bit of his top lip has gone chalky/white. Looks kinda like cheese? Its not furry or very big but a bit concerning. Water temp and stats are all ok, if he jsut stressed from the loss of his pal? thanks

He is stressed because something is not alright in that tank. You need to fix it or the second axolotl will die just like the first.

I cant find anything wrong. Water stats are all fine, there in very little current in the tank,it is kept cool and they have cover. Iam vigilant with water changes :confused:

Hi Username,

Would you be able to provide photos of the lip area? It sounds like either a fungal or bacterial infection.

Cheers.

Axolotls are solitary creatures by nature. They can handle sharing their habitat but they are definately not capable of having feelings or emotions in the Human sence so greif will not be the issue.

As John suggests so delicately there is likely a problem with your tank, what are your water parameters and temp?

ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10 temp 18.C

Well that eliminates water issues, Sorry to ask but there have been posts before claiming good parameters but when they are posted its a different story, but not in your case.

Have there been any new additions to the tank? plants, ornaments, or new inhabitants?

Nope, nothing else had changed. I have got a new axolotl in there now, and original axxie hasnt had a curled tail since the new arrival- weird. The white stuff on his lip in now gone too :S

I'm saying water flow.

Has the new axolotl been quarantined? Or is it one that you had in a different tank already? Hope your axolotl continues to be well.

If your already having problems with keeping axolotls why would you get another ? What are you feeding them ?

I agree with John,

Have you looked at the current created by your filter? you may like to try a spray bar which diffuses the water and reduces the current.

I use an external canister filter with the spray bar pointed at the back wall of the tank. There is next to no current in there.

Wet n Wild, I got another one because I like them an want to keep them. Yeah there have been issues but is that a reason to stop trying? I keep a lot of fish also- would u advise me to sell my tanks and quit if I lose a few?

Hi Username,

Slimer is concerned that there might be an underlying problem unresolved in the axie tank hence he advised you to hold back on obtaining another. He has you and your axie's interests at heart, please don't mistaken him. People on this forum are ready to assist and help owners and their axies. It is better to solve any problems first so that your axies and any future additions will lead a healthy happy life.

Since we deduced that water parameters, temperature and flow are not the causes, lets look at other aspects of husbandry.

- What is the usual diet?
- Are there hiding places in the tank?
- Is the tank positioned somewhere where there is heavy human traffic, vibrations, noise, light?
- What substrate do you have in the tank?
- How many axies are there in the tank? Any signs of aggression?
- Do you keep any other species of animal together in the tank?
- Have you recently added anything new to the tank? plant,ornament, fish etc
- Does the axie demonstrate any unusual behaviour?

Cheers.

ok no dramas :p

Well there are two axxies in there, havent seen any aggression. I feed them on earthworm, bloodworm and occasionally shrimp pellets. The tank is in a calm, cool area away from traffic/noise etc. The substrate is sand and there is a hollow log and cave to hide in. Could the axolotl just be bored?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back