mixing question

lutafisk

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,I am new and I have 5 blue spotted salamanders and 2 eastern newts that are either efts or terrestrial adults. Would it be a good idea to keep them together because they share roughly the same habitat?

Thanks for all your help

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lutafisk,

I'm not 100% sure but i think it's best to keep them seperate, even although they are from the same place, they can stress each other out.
Don't take my word for it though. Wait and see what everyone else has to say

Take care.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml This is a good link that really cautions against species mixing. As Lacey said, it's generally not a good idea. I mixed two different species of tree frogs (White's and Green) and it was a disaster. We believe the White's attacked the smaller Green's and after two months of quarantine and nursing the Green back to health, he suddenly died. Of course the pet store kept their frogs together and our vivarium was even larger than theirs for only two frogs. I've found the chain pet stores to be fairly useless in these matters, however. They also couldn't keep the newts alive as it was too hot (we're in S. FL) but offered to take some of my newts' offspring! I politely declined that death sentence!

Some of the more experienced members here can probably guide you more specifically, but until you hear your selections are OK to mix, I'd keep them separate.

Good luck,
Dana

That is an absolute no. Ambystoma will eat anything that moves most of the time and Ambystoma laterale(blue spotted sals) are bigger than eastern newt efts or terrestrial adults and if they bite or eat the newts the newts will release toxins and it will most likely kill the blue spotted sals. The newts will most likley die of stress or being eaten. Please dont mix them.

I'm glad I read through before posting, because AJ covered it all. To add though, if the Laterale would try to swim in the same pool as the Notos, poisons would spread very easily. Notos' water becomes contaminated with their poison quickly.

as a rule of thumb, don't mix. It's always tempting but I think a lot of people have difficulty differentiating between keeping fish where mixing is common practice and keeping herps where it should be discouraged.

okay thanks for all your advice they are in seperate cages now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back