Question: just after a little advice!!!

tashaharris

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello... I was given an albino axalotl 2 days ago, I know nothing about them except what I can find on the net, which isn't much! I've set it up in an old tank I had, but am unsure of the correct water level, I keep seeing pictures of full filled tanks and half.. what is the correct level or does it not matter?? Also, how can I tell if it's male or female?

thanks
tasha

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tashaharris,

Have alook at these links Caudata Culture & the Axolotl site they have all the answers to your questions and much more.

I'm not sure if there is a correct water level it largely depends on if you are keeping them for display, breeding or research. I have 2 x 160 litre tanks which are full to 3" from the top. I like to watch them swim and they seem to enjoy it.

Sexxing can be a tricky matter if you could post a photo it would help but there is a good guide on the links above.

Oh and Welcome to the site

Hi Tasha,

There are pros and cons to a high versus low water low. It really boils down to what is practical for you. A higher water level means a greater volume. A greater volume of water in general provides more stability in terms of water chemistry and temperature. Nitrogenous waste products also get more 'diluted' out. There is also more space in terms of height for the axie to move about although they do prefer staying around the bottom of the tank. Some aquatic plants look better with certain water depth. Axies would tend to be viewed from a side profile. The only main downside is that you would have to have a secure tank lid to prevent the axie from jumping out.

A lower water level would create a greater distance between water level and outside of the tank and hence prevent axies jumping out. Some tank set ups highlight the top view of the axie, especially with a lower water level. It might make feeding your axie slightly easier since a lower water level means you get get to your axie with a pair of feeding forceps easily. Some types of aquatic plants do better or are more easily managed with a lower water level such as the floating duckweed and hyacinths etc.

Regardless, different filters work best with different water levels so be sure to check the filter requirements first.

Cheers.

thank you for you advice, very helpfull..... and thanks for the welcome to the site, im finding everything on here very helpfull... and i think my axie is pleased too...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back