Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello Caudata.org !

WetBeast

Reaction score
I already stumbled upon this wonderful site before, and decided to register, so here I am.

:cool:

I'm not far from being fourty years old, and as far as I can remember, I always had animals around me.
Anything, form birds (doves) to golden fishes, from cats to german sheperhounds, and from mice to guinea-pigs and rabbits....

Then (somewhere in my fourteen years), I had my first "true" aquarium (not a fish bowl like previously)...

At the same age, one of my uncles catched a natrix natrix snake, in order to show it to me.
That was the signal I have unknowingly waited for, for such a long time :
I am a "herper", more than anything else, as far as "pets" are concerned.

:cool:

I have kept varanus exhantematicus, anolis sagrei, eumeces schneideri, ceratophrys ornata,
cynops orientalis, hyla cinerea, tiliqua scincoides, notophtalmus viridescens, hymenochirus sp,
pelusios niger, chelydra serpentina, chrysemys scripta elegans, trionyx spiniferus, trionyx sinensis,
and for the aquarium fishes, the list is even longer...

My almost absolute favorite pets are newts and salamanders,
which represent some kind of mix between lizards and fishes,
thus representing something like a climax for a herp/aquarium fan.

:talker:

Since life is as it is, I somehow "abandoned"terrariophilia and aquariophilia for years.
I got married, we have a son, he grows up and becomes more and more...the herp fan I myself was/am.
The only difference between him and I, is that he's allowed to possess reptiles and amphibians
far more sooner than I was, which idea I just love. Yes, I'm proud of being able to share such a passion with my son.
I'm more happy for him than I would have imagined. I guess he's happy too.
Imagine having a dad that actually not only allows you to have any (almost LOL) animal you'd want,
but who actually thrives to go with you to the herp stores, and, yes, buys animals and stuff...

;)

My own father never behaved like that with me. I'm proud to behave like that with my son.

He loves to watch his (our) pets, loves to learn about them, and knows more at his early age of five about pets, than I did at his age.
He speaks about ceratophrys and tylototriton species like I myself spoke about bikes and action figures LOL.

;)

I teach him to respect living beings in general, and, of course, especially the lives we actually buy, and that will depend on us to just keep on living.

So, here we are, my son and I, under the amused/bothered eyes of my wife, his mother, keeping animals together...in an ever expanding number of terrariums...

It's only barely one month ago, that I bought my son (and myself, big wink) one ceratophrys ornata...which my wife barely accepted...

Guess what : now, we've got that ceratophrys ornata, and a hyla cinerea, a pleurodeles waltlii, a tylototriton shanjing, a pachnoda marginata peregrini beetle, sypiloidea stick insects...
An "explosion", really.

All are kept with much care and love.

Sorry for that rather long introduction...

:proud:

Long live to all newts and salamanders world-wide.
Long live to Caudata.org.
Long live to all of us, newts and salamanders keepers.

WetBeast

Reaction score
Hi Jacq !

It seems like a zoo when I enumerate the species I owned.

But it also seems like a tiny zoo with the species I own presently....

My wife would now put me in one of the faunariums too...

:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1