Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How long does an axolotl need to acclimate to a new tank?

g1g5

Reaction score
I have just purchased two young adult axolotls, approx 5-6 inch in length, and have added them to my new aquarium.

How long will it take for the axolotls to settle into its new surroundings? I noticed stored the axolotls in a cold room. I should mention my system does not have a chiller.

I have allowed it 12h of rest, and have tried to feed it pellets this morning, which it has so far not touched (1h has now passed). I noticed the pet shop fed these pair with live food, how long should it be before the axolotls start taking pelleted food?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
They may take a little time to settle before wanting to feed. When they are ready , you may need to drop the pellet in front of them so that they 'snap ' at it. I would personally try to feed them at first the same diet they had before, then gradually introduce pellets. What sort of pellets are you aiming to feed them?

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi G1g5,

Have you cycled the tank before the addition of the axies?

Cheers.

g1g5

Reaction score
Greetings Julia

Thank you very much, am doing as you recommended. Pellet is Hikari's Massivore Delite, selected on basis of high protein content typical for carnivore feed.

Greetings Rayson

Substrate sublayer contains a modified porebed type plenum with commercial starter culture. Water has been left to settle for 2 days.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Gig5

It can take a week or so for axolotls to acclimatise to a new environment. If you follow the advise from Julia with regards to feeding it will help.

Even with the starter it will take your tank longer than 2 days to cycle so you will still be needing to monitor your parameters and do regular water changes.

g1g5

Reaction score
Thank you for your help.

The axolotls are still not eat pellets. Almost five days have elapsed since their acquisition, and the axolotls are looking distinctly slimmed. Under the circumstances, unless they feed by tomorrow, I will be returning the axolotl to the pet shop. Hopefully they woul not have starved by then.

I thank you all for your guidance, one could not wish for a more supportive forum, and hope you all have better luck than myself.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Re: Thank you for your help.

Can you get your hands on any earthworms? If not bloodworms? I think it could take a while for your axies to eat pellets. It would be a real shame to take them back to the pet shop, I think perhaps you would need to introduce pellets gradually, alongside whatever they were eating before.

melfly

Reaction score
I agree with Kerry.
Mine wont take to pellets yet they have always had bloodworm live and frozen and i'm trying SLOWLY to introduce pellets

They have no interest in them really have a chew, spit it out, leave it alone lol.
One has eaten one, quite possibly by accident because it got very soggy and i think he managed that one.

But i would definatley introduce pellets alongside their usual diet.

Mel

Cts

Reaction score
My axolotl didn't eat at first either, i tried to feed him with snails but he didn't want them. So after 5-6 days i bought some maggots and he was alot easier too feed with those. I've had him for about a month now and he snaps att almost anything that moves now :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!