Hyla arborea spawn-need advice!

edbenn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This morning two of my European Tree Frog (Hyla arborea) spawned in their water bowl. This was totally unexpected as I thought I had 3 males!

Wat is the best way to keep the spawn? And how do I raise the tadpoles?

At the moment the spawn is floating in a small Ice-cream tub in the frogs enclosure. Also some spawn got stuck to some orchid bark and I put the bark in the water with the spawn still on it. Could the bark affected the water?

Any advice would be most welcome! Otherwise my Pleurodeles will be getting a big meal!

Thanks

Ed

I am not sure exactly how many eggs are in H. arborea spawn but I am sure any container the size of a show box would be adequate enough for the eggs. As long as the eggs are submerged in water, there isn't really much else you need to do until they hatch. Now, once they hatch you'll need to feed them flake fish food. It probably wouldn't hurt either to do about a 10% water change every three days or so.

Great thanks for that.

I wish you were in the US - I'd love some of these.

Sorry for the delay in answering you but been busy. They should have hatched by now feed on catfish sinker pellets koi sinking pellets .Divide the tadpoles up every two weeks as they get bigger they need more space ,change part of the water every week not at weekend as more chemicals are put into the drinking water on a Friday .I use those big plastic tubs from ASDA they do the job fine . They come out of the water themselves when they get their front legs so transfer to tank with a tight fitting lid so you dont loose them I raised nearly 300 one year they are really great frogs Feed babies on fruitflies tiny crickets . HAVEFUN :eek:
PS CAN I BUY TEN BABIES OFF YOU OR WOULD YOU LIKE TO SWAP FOR TEN CAPTIVE GREYS BABIES:wacko: :wacko:

Much as I dislike the Americanese language, Hyla chrysoscelis and Hyla versicolor are the "Gray" treefrogs. It's not a case of one country having different spelling for it, like colour and color - it's an actual name. So in this case "Grey Treefrog" is incorrect. I only mention this to help stop the spread of more Internet-induced confusion.

That makes two of us. Have you ever seen these ever offered here?
No I haven't. I caught these frogs in southern France in the early 90s (they might have been Hyla meridionalis though - they look similar). Very nice little fellows.

Make that 3.

Hyla japonica has been listed on a few of the import lists before.(alongside Cynops ensicauda). Similar species from Japan.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back