Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire belly newt question...

ZebraDruid

Reaction score
Hey, I recently bought a fire belly newt from the pet store I usually go to. I read that you occasionally get one that stays on land, and I think I did... I spotted two of these newts in the tank at the store, and one of them was in the water, while the other one was, if I recall correctly, was out of the water. I think I got the second one. I NEVER see it in the water, it's always on the piece of bark I put in the tank for it. Is this normal? I mean, it's eating alright, so it hopefully isn't sick or anything. I'd just kinda like to see it swimming around in the water, instead of constantly sitting on top of the bark. :p Thanks.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What is it eating? It will eventually go in the water, it probably just needs to grow some. How deep is the water, what temperature, and are there any other animals in it?

ZebraDruid

Reaction score
It's about two inches long, the lady at the pet store said she fed them pellets, so that's what I'm feeding it (and it's eating, like I said), the temperature should be room temperature, which is around 78 degrees F. There are two mystery snails in the tank. It's not a large tank, around three Gallons, I'm guessing. Maybe.

oregon newt

Reaction score
78 degrees is way to hot. The ideal temperature should be below 72-70 degrees. Also, don't listen to anything that the lady in the petstore told you, as they don't usually know what their talking about. Your firebelly is is going to need a bigger tank. A ten gallon would be good, ideally without the mystery snails. The tank should also be cycled. And instead of pellets, better foods would include earthworms, blackworms, bloodworms, flightless fruit flies, and so on. It's probably on land so much because the conditions in the water are not exactly ideal. Check out these links:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cynops/C_orientalis.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml

I'm guessing you have a Chinese Firebelly newt (Cynops orientalis)?

vistajpdf

Reaction score
While it's possible the water conditions aren't ideal, my pair of C. Orientalis (Chinese FBNs) were never in the water for months after purchasing them. I think they were in a terrestrial phase and once they returned to the water, I never see them out of it.

I agree with the others that the temp is way too warm. This species is susceptible to stress and infections at that high of temperatures. There are ways to cool the tank elsewhere on this site. I worry about mine in the low 70's as I'm in S. FL and the newts were moved to a warmer room with my oldest son at Christmas. The other room had no afternoon sun and was much cooler in my estimation. So, I've done a few things to keep the tank cooler after joining this group including getting rid of the hood for a screen top. Mine have been reproducing and I had to separate them to get them to stop, so I can only assume they are content in their conditions or they wouldn't be having babies.

I also agree to use live foods if possible in the newt's diet. I've never tried pellets and am not fond of having worms around, but the newts love them...so, I have white and blackworms bought from people here. I used to feed only frozen and thawed bloodworms - not a bad choice if you can't get worms or fruit flies, etc.

Good luck,
Dana

clairet

Reaction score
Hi
I have 5 chinese fire bellies, 2 of them are always in the water, 1 spends half his/her time on land and the other half in water, and the other 2 prefer the land. some eat more than others too (i feed tiny crickets, earthworms, frozen bloodworm) but they all seem healthy.
i don't use a heater but have a very small filter angled at the glass so there is hardly any current from it.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you actually SEEN the newt eat the pellets? It's not that I'm doubting your word, but there have been similar previous posts in which people assumed that, since the food "disappeared", the newt must be eating. Newts can go for many weeks without eating and without obviously losing weight. I just want to be entirely sure this isn't the case here.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Just to support what other have said, the temps really are too high, it may be one of the reasons why it´s terrestrial. This species arrives to pet-shops in a bad shape generally, and if kept warm they are very susceptible to infections, so it´s very important that you low the temperature to below 20ºC to give the animal a chance to recover from all the stress...it´s inmune system will work best at low temps.

If it really is eating the pellets, they are fine, but you really should offer a variety of foods, earthworms being the best. Using one food as a staple rarely works well, because it leads to deficiencies.

I also second that you need a bigger tank. 3 gallons is way too small . The minimum would be a 10gallon, as mentioned above, mostly because with less volume it´s practically impossible to keep a tank healthy long term. A 10gallon will allow you to maintain water quality easily, and will provide with enough room for the newt to swim when it becomes aquatic. Being in such a small tank is probably another reason why it is terrestrial. The water quality is most probably not ok (specially with the high temp), and since they can sense it, it´s staying away from it.

The final reason why it may be terrestrial is that with a length of 5cm it´s probably still a juvenile. That means it is completely terrestrial, and in fact there´s a possibility of drawning. They usually don´t become aquatic until they mature. If there are no signs of it becoming aquatic, i´d transfer it to a fully terrestrial tank, at least until it becomes an adult, and then goes to water.

ZebraDruid

Reaction score
Alright, thanks for the help. And I'm assuming that it's eating the pellets, as they completely vanish (as in, very little to no leftover crumbs), but yeah, assuming isn't good. :p

I'll transfer him to a larger tank, as well. Are the snails bad to have in the same water? Should I really remove them?

Thanks a bunch. :D

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to take a guess that the mystery snails are eating the pellets. If the newt truly never goes in the water, there is zero chance that it is eating the pellets. I strongly encourage you to try to hand-feed the newt (tweezers or toothpick) with earthworm pieces or thawed bloodworms.

ZebraDruid

Reaction score
I'm putting the pellets on the land part, not in the water. I have the newt and snails separated now, though, so when I feed him, I'll check tomorrow to see if the food is gone.

ZebraDruid

Reaction score
Ok, yes, the food is gone. But I'ma still try to get some other food for him, though. Should the snails definitely stay out of his tank?

BlackWolf25

Reaction score
To be safe, I would keep the snails out of the tank because as you may have heard, mixing species can cause all sorts of diseases and bacterias(sorry if i spelled that word wrong) that the newts immune systems are not used to.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I don´t think there is a big risk of desease transmission from the snails. Snails are parasite carriers and that could potentially be a problem, but only with wild snails and from particular areas.
However if i´m not mistaken mystery snails are tropical and not suitable for a caudate tank...

ZebraDruid

Reaction score
Could anyone give me a link to a site that sells blackworms? I've searched, and can't seem to find any. :/

I found a site that sells blood worms, but I'm worried about them being too large for my newt.

Thanks.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They aren´t. Bloodworms are a good choice both live and frozen, but always as a part of a varied diet.

ZebraDruid

Reaction score
Err, my mistake, I didn't find a blood worm site, either... unless red worms = blood worms... Haha, I don't know how I misread that... Anyone have any links? Thanks.

stanleyc

Reaction score
I feed my fire bellies what I believe are tubifex worms, they have the shape and size as black and red worms I believe, but are a pink earthworm type color. I was wondering if anyone can help me identify these worms and comment on their nutritional value. Also, would a diet of these worms, plus blackworms be a good balanced diet? I would also feed them small crickets, as I'm trying to get a pair of Ambystoma Opacum and would have a supply of crickets, but I was wondering if it works out since the fire bellies are mostly underwater.

thanks

vistajpdf

Reaction score
Go to the For Sale/Trade part of this site and under the USA, there is a company that runs a nice special to board members for blackworms. Bloodworms can be bought frozen in any of the pet store chains (Petco, Pet Supermarket) in the fish part of the store. They have a variety of frozen foods and bloodworms is certainly one of them.

Good luck,
Dana

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1