Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Will they grow?

Markw

Reaction score
On my 55gal tank, I am running (2) 24"-20 watt Radionic lights. The tank is 21" tall, but has about 1.5" of sand on the bottom and most of the plants will be anchored to driftwood. Teh question is, if I wanted to put java moss, java fern, and elodia in the tank, would they grow under these lighting conditions? I really love the look of a planted tank and, with four axies, all the plants in the world would help denitrify the waters. :)lol:) Would these plants grow under these lights? If any other plants would thrive under these conditions, I would love the names of those also.

Thanks.
Mark

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I know this may sound ridiculous but Elodea and Java Moss actually grow better in the tanks that I do not have lighting on except for the room light. Another plant I have had good luck growing is Hornwort, but the needles you have to clean up seems to cancel out the benefits of growing it.

On a side note, with sand at about 1.5 inches deep you might want to keep an out for gas pockets. They are easy to notice cause they will turn the sand black.

Markw

Reaction score
Ok, so after checking, the sand is only about .76-1". I think I will be taking some of it out, though, for that specific reason. At less than 1 watt per gallon, though, will these plants grow okay? If the lighting is too strong, can anyone offer any other plants that will grow under these conditions?

Mark

Markw

Reaction score
I have some of the cabomba growing in my tank, I think. They ahve all but died off. I think it may be a little too much light right ontop of them as my 20long isnt so deep, the light shines directly ontop of them. They are still alive, however.

Mark

kenya

Reaction score
How are you keeping your smaller tank cool enough? I have a 20 long as well and I have one little 15 or 20 watt bulb in a strip light and mine never wants to go below 68F. -_-

"Green Cabomba (Cabomba caroliniana) is the most common, as well as the easiest aquarium subject. By contrast Red Cabomba (Cabomba furcata) is considered to be one of the hardest plants to take care of in the aquarium."

Maybe you had red? All I have right now is one aponogeton plant, and I had to really play with the amount of light it gets. The tank is now on a timer, and it gets 30 minutes of light with about an hour of dark. It stays off between 10 PM and 10 AM.

Do you have pictures of your set up?

Markw

Reaction score
Well, maybe thats why. I keep my lights off all but maybe two hours a day, it gets a little sunlight so between the sunlight and the light, if I were to keep the light on for too much longer, the tank gets a tad too warm. Without the lights, the tank stays around 69F.

My setup (currently setting up my 55, then this will be a quarentine):
NewTank.jpg

Mark

kenya

Reaction score
Hmm, mine probably gets a little more than 2 hours collectively.

I would love to get my tank down to like, 65F. :rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1