Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Swollen belly?

Delirio

Reaction score
Evening everyone,

Just to ask, Camilo (the axolotl, my axolotl) seems to have just one side of his (or her) belly swollen.
Looks like a bulge near the left rear leg.
Today is feeding day (bloodworms) and there are no small pebbles on the tank (in case you wonder he/she may have eaten one) the tank is clean, the water properly treated (today was bathing day as well) and at a steady 19 C or lower.
Any idea / suggestion?
Thanks in advance!

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Firstly, it would probably help to try to get some photos up, it's hard for anyone to make a diagnosis without pics!

Secondly, what is bathing day?

Also as you don't know the sex of your axolotl is it a young one? How old/long is it? How often are you feeding it? Is it showing any other signs of illness or stress? It it still eating?

Do you have your water readings? (nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, pH)

Delirio

Reaction score
Hello,

As soon as I can I will post photos. Camera dead at the minute.
Bathing day = cleaning the tank day :happy:
Camilo's length from head to tail will be 10 cm.
I fed him / her tonight and everything was gone! No problems with food there! I was told at the shop where I got him from (In Canterbury, Kent) to feed him every 2 or 3 days.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Deliro,

Its quite hard to gauge without a photo, I can't even relly hazard a guess at this stage

callina

Reaction score
Hi Deliro,

firstly, your axie is still too young to be fed every 2 or 3 day. At this age it needs daily feeding.

How long do you have him and what were the conditions before you got him - gravel, bare tank?

A photo would be fine.

-Tina-

Delirio

Reaction score
Good evening everyone!

Just coming back from work.
Camilo looks fine today.
Tina: I got him in April 16th, 2009. In the shop he was with another 5 axolotls and the tank was layered with sand.
The shop keeper told me to feed him every 2 or 3 days. I believe is not enough as well but as it is my first time with an axolotl and I'm following what the shop keeper told me. If you think it would be better to feed him every day I'll go for it.
He also told me to clean the tank every 3 weeks since "Axolotls like stagnant water" but I disagree there and his tank gets cleaned every 10 days, and I change the water daily - one pint comes out, another comes in - and I clean the tank from residue every morning.
I'm posting a few pics of Camilo. Today the camera is working and he seems to be in the mood for a picture. Perhaps with a picture someone can tell me the age? the shop keeper did not had a clue.
And the sex would be interesting too :)

Big thanks to everyone for helping me - and Camilo!

X

Attachments

• DSC03971.jpg
    DSC03971.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,205
  • DSC03972.jpg
    DSC03972.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,728

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Delirio,

If your tank is not cycled you will need to do 20-30% water changes at least every week.

I can't see anything wrong with your axolotl from the photo, it looks quite healthy.

callina

Reaction score
Hi Delirio,

your axie is looking fine and healthy.
If it´s a male or female you will see when he ia about 18cm long. Then the cloaca will swollow for a male or not for a female.

-Tina-

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!