Photo: Elspeth's Axolotl's

Elspeth

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Elspeth
Hiya peep's.

I just thought I would put a few photo's up of my set up because I havent done it before, and I'm proud of it. I just wish my axies would move out of thier favourite corner a bit more. Only on feeding time :)
Feel free to tell me off if I've done anything bad, or you have advice, I'm open to sugestions.

Elspeth.

Attachments

• DSC02536.jpg
    DSC02536.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 328
  • DSC02529.jpg
    DSC02529.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC02531.jpg
    DSC02531.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 290
Nice set-up - how big is your tank? ...looks massive! :)
Is their favourite corner more shaded than the rest of the tank? if so, maybe add more plants/shade - that should bring them out.

Cheers, Phil

Very nice setup you have there. I especially like the rock you have for the center peice. I was wondering how they like that plant pot you cleverly set in the center? I dont have much for my axies to hide in besides a abundant amount of plants but that seems to be a hassle come feeding time.

Aww Elspeth your tank is amazing! If i had enough money and the room for it I would love a tank of that size!! What length is it in feet and inches? (im no good with gallons). How many axies do you keep in there? I only managed to see one golden albino in the pics.

Im the same as you oceangoddess, I only have 3 hides for 2 axies at the moment but am adding my golden into there in the next couple of months. So one each, but I rarely have the lights on as I dont have real plants in there.

Claire

Hi phil, My tank is about 4"9 long, buy 45"wide.

There are more places to hide down one end, but its not that much shadier in that corner. I dono, they just like it there :)

OceanGoddes, as for the half pot in the middle, the gold one likes it more than the black one. I got a video of the gold one in there today as a matter of fact, but im not sure how to post video on here.
Im tosing up if i should mesh around with the set up again an swap a peice of wood with the pot. I'll put photos up if i do.

Claire, I have 3 in there. but in these photo's there are 2. The black one is good at hiding in the log on the left side, thats the favourite hiding place.

I just got a new light, so i shall get some more plants soon and try the aquaspacing Frank sugested in his post :)

Elsie.

Last edited:
The tank looks really good! I think it'll look amazing with a few more plants. Frank has really started something hasn't he? I'm all set to get working on my four foot tank this weekend! Can't wait to see the updated pics.

Hi Elspeth,

Tank looks great, can't wait to see it with the new light and more plants.

Thanks guys,
I want to get better at taking the photo's, but im no photographer, and its in the corner and i could make excuses all day!
Is it true you have to quarantine new plants too? or is that so that it doesnt transfer snails?

Elsie.

Hi Elspeth

Its a good idea to quarentine any additions to your habitat, many people don't without hassles, but there are many post here from people who didn't and have had hassles. I am paranoid so I quarantine everything its a bit of a urodelarium.

Hiya,

An update.
After all this time, I cant keep my little guys. They need a new home.
I hate having to do this. I will miss them dearly.

Attachments

• DSC02656.jpg
    DSC02656.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC02668.jpg
    DSC02668.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC02665.jpg
    DSC02665.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 190
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back