Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is Bob-O Stressed?

whyjune1st

Reaction score
This is my axolotl Bob Ross. I have had him for over a year and a half now. I just recently moved him into a new tank with my female Bjork. I noticed his gills were kinda curled and i was wondering what you guys thought. Is he stressed or is this natural? Thanks again for the input. P.s. I love this forum. I can just read posts for hours and hours, these guys are so fascinating. Oh almost forgot. His appetite has not suffered a bit. Him and his counterpart have each been on a steady diet of one large earthworm per day for the past month or so. All wild caught.

Attachments

• CIMG0519.jpg
    CIMG0519.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 350
  • CIMG0520.jpg
    CIMG0520.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 324
  • CIMG0521.jpg
    CIMG0521.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Whyjune1st,

Have you observed the curled forward gills only recently or it has been this way ever since you acquired the axie? How is the other axie doing? Are there any other signs of stress like curled tail tip?

Do you have sufficient hiding places in the tank? If water temperatures, parameters, currents are fine, and the axie doesn't show any sign of illness i would actually be inclined to think that it might just be its natural conformation. It seems only 1 side is affected too.

Cheers.

whyjune1st

Reaction score
I have noticed this before but i just have written it off to natural precondition. I guess i was just a bit nervous because i had just moved him to a new tank and i didnt want him to be overly upset. To answer your questions about my habitat, I have three main hiding places, one a pot that i threw with two entrances (photo 1), one cave made of rocks that i built for them (photo two), and another pot that i made (photo 3). These are the main hides but obviously they can climb between those structures and the glass, and often do, because i feel like the just enjoy being in a constricted space. Bjork does not seem to be showing any signs of distess but I just figured that was natural seeing as this has been her tank for quite some time and Bob Ross has just recently been introduced.

I was wondering what you thought about the filter and if the water flow was too great. It is obviously creating a divot in the sand and i was wondering if this was too great of a flow, even given the hiding holes. I was thinking of making something that would divert the water flow off of the filter and into the tank. I have also given an above view of the habitat so that you could see how it was laid out. Also there are some bubbles forming on the water surface that i was wondering about. Thanks again for the input.

Attachments

• CIMG0534.jpg
    CIMG0534.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 265
  • CIMG0532.jpg
    CIMG0532.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 236
  • CIMG0533.jpg
    CIMG0533.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 248
  • CIMG0535.jpg
    CIMG0535.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 235
  • CIMG0538.jpg
    CIMG0538.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 247

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi whyjune1st,

You can try to reduce water flow by use of a spray bar, turning your filter to a low setting, strategic placement of ornaments, rocks etc to buffer the flow, using a turtle dock or even just direct the outtake to a glass surface.

Some bubbles on the water surface is fine. Sometimes if there are a lot of bubbles, it can indicate that there is a high organic debris content. Proteinaceous type detritus can make bubbles less resistant to popping. You can counter this by regular siphoning of detritus, removing uneaten food, regular water testing and 20% changes and use of activated carbon in your filter.

Cheers.

Celeste

Reaction score
Hello Whyjune1st!

First I love your axies colour!! they are great!!

I was thinking, one of my axies has forward gills too and I was worried at the beginning, but as Ray told you
it could be natural for him (I noticed mine were just that way as she eats like a little piggy and shows no other sign of stress). Anywaw, I was thinking too that it could be stress related to his new friend, new tank
and envroment. One question: are the water parameters in new / old tank the same? that could be one
issue.

I think there might be a big current, speaking of this, the bubbles in the surface often forms because there
is too little agitation of the water in the surface, you can prevent this by directing your filter´s outfeed in a
way that the water´s surface has more movement, this also helps to have better gas exchange. (sorry
about my english, I hope made myself clear).

One thing that concerns me is the depth of your sand, I think betwen 1 and 2 cms is better.

I hople this helps and congratulation about your axies, they are so cool!! By the way, I love your
dIY stone cave!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1