Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wondering about a spotted salamander population

Bill

Reaction score
In late March I found a pool that had wood frog and spotted salamander eggs. Rafts of r. sylvatica eggs were already established, and I think I had just missed the a. maculatum breeding: the bottom was festooned with spermatophore and there were several dozen fresh egg masses. This is a fairly small pool, about 10 feet across, max 18" depth. It is quite remote, very difficult and ugly to access, and I like to think I'm the only one who pays any attention to it. Since the first visit, I've been returning weekly to monitor the populations. For the first month my dip net was bringing up larvae at a pretty consistent (approx) ratio of 1 a. maculatum to 10 r. sylvatica. For the last 6 weeks I have brought up zero a. maculatum. Today, zero again. Plenty of sylvatica. I really want this population of a. maculatum to flourish.
Several possibilities I have thought of:
*The a. maculatum have morphed. But a parallel group of 6 from that brood in a replica pool at my house has not yet morphed, and I think mine have better conditions for development.
*The a. maculatum larvae are better at eluding capture, maybe as older larvae they are inhabiting a different strata of the pool and my net is missing them.
*I have read that some populations in the northeast are dying out because of acid precipitation. In that case, older adults from the 70's or 80's may keep returning to the pool for their annual mating convention, but no pups are returning to the woods. If there is a threshold PH for a. maculatum larvae development of which someone can inform me, I will check that out.
*One dip several weeks ago brought up a very fat red spotted eastern newt. Predation? I was very tempted to do a dissection but didn't.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I would look for red efts on rainy days and see if you find any small ones. They are very easy to find walking around with their bright red color. That way you would be able to tell if the noto's are morphing. If they are, I would expect that the macs and opacums would be also. You could always take a Ph kit with you and test the water. I would expect anything under 6.5 would be fatal. I would think that larvae numbers would be dropping even without acidity problems.
Birds, snakes, frogs, aquatic insects, and the larvae themselves are all eating the larvae. The larvae may also be hideing in the leaves and mud. I recently found a noto larvae and a pickeral frog tadpole in some pond mud I had scooped up and brought home. Im sure the macs and opacums are there just not in the numbers you saw early on.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Ambystoma larvae are good at hugging the bottom when they get larger - it's hard to net them out unless you really shovel that mud sometimes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1