Hi Y'all, Wannabe Axolotl Owner Here

esoteric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Ron
Hello!

36 hours ago I had absolutely no idea that there were creatures called axolotls on planet Earth. Within an hour of reading about them, on axolotl.org I decided I had to have one. It puzzles me that I have managed to reach my grand old age without ever hearing the name or seeing an image before. Axo-whatl?

Friday night I was sat at my PC looking for My Father's Day present. (yes it's father's day in the UK today.) I wanted something a bit different. Anyway, I have this fishtank, 24"x12"x15" (59 litres - 13 gallons -16 US Gallons) which was originally intended as a backup/hospital/breeding tank to my main tank, but it's basically been lying around doing nothing.

About 3 weeks back I gave the tank a makeover with a black background and a sand substrate and I set it cycling. I had planned on putting some bogwood and java fern in the tank and making a home for some cherry shrimp and apple snails. I logged on to my normal fish forum to see if anyone was selling shrimp or snails or indeed if anything different caught my eye. that's when I saw my first axie.

Alas, "Mudkip" was too far away to collect and I was far too uncomfortable with the idea of putting the not so little fella through the post, albeit using next day courier. As soon as I find a juvenile leucistic axie in my area, he/she is mine. I've already turned the heater down to 18°c and sourced some bloodworm and daphnia. I mean, who in the right mind wants crustacea and molluscs when you can have neotenous amphibians?

:happy:

See y'all around.
Ron

Welcome to the forum, Ron.

Axies are just fine in the post. I've shipped hundreds and never had any problems with them. It's an acceptable method of moving critters around the country. Usually, once they arrive, you give them an earthworm and all is forgiven.

And if I were you, I'd just remove the heater all together. Axies don't need them. They are just fine even at water temperatures of 7C (and sometimes even lower).

As always, the masses demand pictures of your little guy, whenever it arrive (pictures of the tank will suffice until then!).

Hi Kaysie and thanks for the welcome. I'd be pleased to take a picture of my empty tank if anyone would really like to see it. Thanks also for the advice about posting axies, if it's condoned by people on this forum I'm sure it must be ok. :happy:

I'm not quite sure why my post was moved from the introductions thread, seeing as it was my first hello to the community and outlined how I came to be here. I'm all for well run and organised forums, but this does feel a bit like slapping the noob for the sake of it. A friendly comment explaning why my post had to be moved would have been polite too. :confused:

Hi Ron :)

As kaysie said, literally hundreds of axies get shipped regularly. In fact I just got 2 through this way myself. As long as it's nextday delivery and preferably before 1pm I dont see a problem with it :) Mine came in a bottle with plenty of newspaper around it and fragile in large words all over the box. Theyre now happily in their tub and eating like little piggywiggys lol.

Loads of information on this forum, and a great crowd of people willing to offer advice if ever you should need it. I know. having already asked questions and people kindly replying :D

Thanks blabberwort I think I'm happier after hearing testimonials from Kaysie and yourself. I have to wait till I've made 5 posts I believe, before I can put a post in the wanted section. But as soon as I'm able (ahem) I'll be requesting a location for 2 juve leucistic axies and I'll not be afraid to take them by post now.

I'm now sans heater btw. :)
Pics of empty tank to follow.

Ron

Hi Ron,

I think an axolotl or two would be and ideal Fathers Day present. Happy Fathers Day

I'm not sure why your thread was moved either (I didn't do it). Seemed perfectly acceptable for the intros thread.

Either way, best of luck getting your little friend!

tank.jpg

As promised a picture of a basic and quite empty tank.
I've taken out the heater and put some things in that I had knocking about, as a temporary measure.
Some floating plants will be used to subdue the lighting a little.
(perhaps I don't need the light at all?)​

I'm now open to suggestions from you knowledgeable peeps.
So any tips regarding buried pipes, favourite plants etc will be greatfully received.​

Ron​

One of my favorite plants to use is Elodea canadensis or also sold as "Anacharis". It does great in low light and cool temperatures.

anacharis.jpg

Thanks Justin, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I saw some great pictures when I searched google.
I also fancy some common duckweed floating on the top.

Ron​

I've just had a message from the Mod that moved my introduction and guess what? She was very nice AND had a perfectly valid reason for moving my post.

So my image of a keyboard zombie, wielding her mouse/cleaver with total impunity, has been shattered.

Believe it or not, we are quite a friendly bunch, not oppressive ogres (depending on who you ask, I guess). Come join us in the chat room anytime.

How did you know about me wielding the mouse?:D

I've just had a message from the Mod that moved my introduction and guess what? She was very nice AND had a perfectly valid reason for moving my post.

So my image of a keyboard zombie, wielding her mouse/cleaver with total impunity, has been shattered.

Still haven't tracked him down yet Mike. Finding one of these lil fellas has proven harder than I thought.

I ordered some Elodea canadensis and some non wild duckweed last night, so I'm expecting that to arrive tomorrow. Do I really have to quarantine new plants for a month? If so, do people usually set up a quarantine tank complete with substrate, for this?

Ron

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back