Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dicamptodon Outing

Reaction score
Well I went up to Idaho for the day, and I caught a couple Dicamptodon Atterimus. Also called the Idaho Giant Salamander. I didn't have much time to herp but in ten minutes I found two juviniles. I threw in some habitat pictures too. If you have questions, I would love to answer them. Thanks.

Attachments

• ZD1.jpg
    ZD1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 454
  • ZD2.jpg
    ZD2.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 455
  • ZD3.jpg
    ZD3.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 444
  • ZD4.jpg
    ZD4.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 482
  • ZD5.jpg
    ZD5.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 409
  • ZD6.jpg
    ZD6.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 435
  • ZD7.jpg
    ZD7.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 427

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Very impressive. I'd love to see some of these in the wild some day. Thank you for sharing!

Aneides

Reaction score
I love it! Nice photos! Keep up the good work! :happy:

Aneides

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Well I went up to Idaho for the day, and I caught a couple Dicamptodon Atterimus. Also called the Idaho Giant Salamander. I didn't have much time to herp but in ten minutes I found two juviniles. I threw in some habitat pictures too. If you have questions, I would love to answer them. Thanks.

How cold is the water? Is the habitat a mountain stream or just a stream running off a river or lake? I love seeing pics of this Salamander but I don't know much about it in its natural element. I guess they hide in little "eddies" and under rocks?

FrogEyes

Reaction score
I have found water temperatures to range from about 5C to about 12C, depending on stream and time of year. I've found them in various sized creeks, from trickles running beneath boulders along an avalanche path, to larger creeks/rivers several meters across. My favorite spot is a small waterfall, where large larvae and transformed juveniles hide under a couple large rocks or in cracks at the base of the falls, while other larvae occur in a small pool across the road, which is dammed by debris just before the water drops over a cliff to the river below. Their range is limited to central Idaho, plus a couple known streams in Montana, though they may occur in Oregon and Washington as well. They are not protected per se, but require a non-game or scientific permit to collect in Idaho. They can be common in places but can be a bit hit-and-miss for localities. Nowhere near as abundant as Pacific giants are. There was a good write-up in Reptiles magazine last year.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1