Worms and little bugs...HELP!

pinkangel729

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to my tank earlier and found it contained lots and lots of white thread type worms sticking to the glass, and wiggling. Also there was little tiny white fly/flea type things on the glass and swimming through the water.

I panicked and transferred my axies to temporary homes but im not sure what the parasites are or how to get rid of them.

Advice needed!

If your able to get a picture up im sure people will find it easier to help you. Unfortunately im still a novice at these things, but im sure someone will beable to help you :D

I panicked and transferred my axies to temporary homes but im not sure what the parasites are or how to get rid of them.

You can move them back, right away, no need to worry! What you were seeing is the result of a well-established tank. When a tank environment is healthy, many different forms of micro-fauna begin to appear- it's perfectly normal and healthy. The only time you should worry is in the event that you see micro-organisms physically clinging to/bothering the axolotl.

Good Luck in the future!

Hi pinkangel,

If you haven't already have a look at Caudata Culture Jen has lots of photos of tank invaders and their ramifications you should be able to identify yours there.

Good Luck

Are you sure? I can't get a pic as they are too tiny.

But you don't think they should really be there. Very hard to tell if they are on the axies because they are that tiny.

My axies aren't stressed but my tank is covered that's why I panicked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi pinkangel,

If you are really worried, manually remove as many as you can while your axolotls are out of the tank. It is important to identify what they are before dismissing them as harmless.

Maybe the ones on the side of the tank are hydras...google the image if you can't find a picture on the forum.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back