Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

mixing newts?

sophie

Reaction score
This is just a curiosity i have and would never dream of mixing species if I shouldn't..

I have 2 Japanese fire belly newts in a 2ft aquarium, but have just been given a 4ft that I would love to move my newts into while getting more at the same time. 2 newts in a 4 footer would be safe. I have seen some other newts that I am interested in and think they would look good together but I'm not going to mix if it is a stupid idea. Can anyone help?

Last edited by a moderator:

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Mixing is never a good idea. You always run the risk of: introducing diseases, fights among the different species, and different housing needs.
Here is a article on species mixing disasters: http://caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml
Read this thoroughly please.
People have had luck with keeping different subspecies of the same species together but then they would inbreed and that is bad also.
Bottom line, Don't mix.

sophie

Reaction score
Ah - thought as much to be honest, I think I'll move my fire bellys into the big tank and have a different species in the smaller one. Thanks for answering.

Last edited by a moderator:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
ah thought as much to be honest, i think i'll move my fire belly's into the big tank and have a different species in the smaller one. thanks for answering

Your newts will thank you for that xD

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Just get more JFB's! They're handsome newts, and you can fit more into a 4 foot tank. Just make sure you quarantine them for 30 days (or so), and they're all similar size. And this species is pretty readily found as captive-bred.

sophie

Reaction score
i would like a kind of colony in the 4 foot tank. for the small tank i just don't know weather to go for red spotted newts, hong kong warty newts or hymalayan croc newts.... i now also have a 6ft tank on the way too!!!

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!