Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl fell in carpet cleaner!!!

axolotlgangster

Reaction score
So today my mother was spraying carpet cleaner near my tanks. I tried to remove my axolotls so the chemicals won't get in the tank, and then my wild type axolotl jumped out, and landed in the carpet cleaner! So I rinsed the axolotl. After that, I put him in a tub with cold water, every 10 minutes I cleaned the tub, and put fresh water in the tub - I did that 9 times. After that, I put him in a cooler with cold water and an ice pack - because I can't check the temperature in my mini fridge. So far he's been doing fine. If you think I need to do anything else, tell me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If the tanks weren't completely sealed (as in, wrapped in plastic and sealed shut) anything sprayed in their vicinity will end up in the water.

In addition to cleaning the axolotl, you're going to have to do at least a 100% water change, and you should add activated carbon to the filter to help remove these chemicals.

In the future, chemicals and axolotls don't mix. Don't use chemicals around your axolotls.

axolotlgangster

Reaction score
If the tanks weren't completely sealed (as in, wrapped in plastic and sealed shut) anything sprayed in their vicinity will end up in the water.

In addition to cleaning the axolotl, you're going to have to do at least a 100% water change, and you should add activated carbon to the filter to help remove these chemicals.

In the future, chemicals and axolotls don't mix. Don't use chemicals around your axolotls.
It was my ignorant mom.Not to be mean but ya.

oceangoddess106

Reaction score
Well jose I am really sorry to hear that. I cant really think of anything you really could do. I am a bit new to axies but I think changing his water every ten minute might stress the poor thing. My advice would be to make sure you rinse the chemicals from him thoroughly followed with a complete water change of the tank. After that the only thing left to do is keep an eye an him a look for any indifference in behavior.

axolotlgangster

Reaction score
Ok bad news my axolotl has cuts on his head and this sticky stuff on him so im moving him to a 15 gallon tank by him self so he won't effect my other axolotls he is going back to the fridge for 3-4 days im going to mexico for a wile so ill be back next week he looks happy and not stressed so thats good you all have a nice day and don't drop your axolotls in carpet cleaner.

Shari

Reaction score
there is a salt bath thing i got told by someone i think it was 1 teaspoon of salt to a litre of water and you bathe them for 10 min dont do it yet though i`ll find the exact recipe first it was used by a axolotl colony in the states

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Jose,

Could you post photos of the cuts and 'sticky thing' on his head? Fridging is good but seriously anything less than 2 weeks is not much useful. From your description, i would recommend a longer fridging period. Salt baths are only indicated when there is a fungal infection, so there is no necessity to do them at this stage.

axolotlgangster

Reaction score
Well the sticky stuf is on his whole body after i picket him up and took my hand out of the water its like gel. I will put up pic of the gel like stuff and the cuts on his head.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1