Illness/Sickness: Interesting Treatment Method

spendday

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
J
I have a salamandra salamandra with a cut on it and I've been keeping the wound clean with a tamodine (tamed iodine) solution anyway while emailing a local and well respected exotics vet about possible anti biotic treatments he mentioned a method of cleaning wounds I have yet to ever hear of before...... sugar

well icing sugar and water he was saying about how he prefers it over other home remedies like salt baths as its safer and better at cleansing the wound and promoting healing, I know sugar was used as an old battlefield disinfectant up to less than a century ago but I've never heard it in relation to any exotic

any thoughts on this

Re: Interesting Treatment Meathod

I have heard of pure unfiltered honey being used as a topical antibiotic, but sugar is new to me. After researching it a bit, it appears that in humans it is used after debriding the wound and the packing it with the crystals. The sugar crystals are then irrigated out and replaced as they become saturated with lymph. I have no idea how this would work with caudates.

Re: Interesting Treatment Meathod

Hi all,

I routinely use manuka honey for external topical wounds such as burns, surgical sites and ulcerations in small animal and equine practice. This is used in conjunction with systemic antibiotics.

Manuka honey possesses hydrogen peroxide and unique manuka factor with a very wide spectrum of antibacterial, antifungal and antiprotozoal properties. Recent veterinary studies have indicated that manuka honey can even be used to treat infections by antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria such as methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus, surpassing a lot of antibiotics. In addition, Manuka honey has anti-inflammatory properties and can ease exudation, reduce swelling, redness and irritation. It also helps preserve cell structure and integrity.

Other forms of household sugar does not have the properties of manuka honey (or other honeys) and hence are not used. I suppose in terrestrial salamanders, the application of using manuka honey theoretically seems applicable and should not have any severe side effects even though i have not come across any literature advocating or even about its use in amphibians. I cannot say the same for the use of icing sugar, brown sugar and other household table sugars though, i don't think it will have the same benefits as manuka honey.

Cheers.

My mom was a nurse and told me that in the old days, they would use confectioner's sugar on bedsores.

I think the idea of using sugar on wounds has evolved and refined over the years.

Initially, granulated sugar was used together with povidine iodine to pack wounds. The idea of antibacterial action was based on osmotic shock and withdrawal of water that is necessary for bacterial growth and proliferation.

I am sure there are still practical feasible applications of sugar pastes for wounds. However, i see several drawbacks of using granulated sugar compared to using manuka honey on wounds. Sugar lacks the unique manuka factor and hydrogen peroxide present in honey. Granulated sugar also has to be used in conjunction with povidine iodine. Sugar also actually promote bleeding in a fresh wound.

That aside, the practicality aspect is also questionable. Packing a wound with granulated sugar and an occlusive dressing can be quite a feat compared to a smear of viscous honey, especially in small caudates.

After a few hours of dressing the wound with granulated sugar, the sugar is dissolved into a "syrup" by serous fluid drawn into the wound site. This diluted syrup has little antibacterial capacity and aid rather than inhibit bacterial growth.

In terms of evidence based medicine, the closest application i can think of in terms of sugar to a topical wound site is still manuka honey. I don't know of many vets or doctors still using granulated sugar on wounds today..

Cheers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back