Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Injury: Pez took a dive!

Ktlagges

Reaction score
My male, Pez, has been showing signs of fungal infection (small, white, cottony stuff on his gills). So, after watching and seeing it wasn't getting better, I prepared a salt bath at 6g/L. He was surprisingly cooperative when I picked him up (never done it before), but as soon as I let him go in the bath to grab the lid, he took off like a shot... out of the water and right onto the floor.

I got him quickly back into the tank, but his tail looks like its been chewed on. He's in the fridge now (just scooped him up using the tupperware), cause I've heard that helps them heal. Is there anything else I can do? Should I add stress coat to the water to help with healing?

Ktlagges

Reaction score
Also, how long should I leave him in there? What's the best way to change the water? I'm awfully nervous about taking the top off, see. What about oxygen? I put some holes in the tupperware lid, is that sufficient?

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi,

It would be a good idea to keep your axie in the fridge for a week or 2 have a look here Caudata Culture for a guide to fridging. You need to do daily water changes whilst it is in the fridge. Best way to change the water is to have 2 tubs, 1 in the fridge with the axie, then fill the 2nd one with precooled dechlorinated water and transfer the axolotl.

Ktlagges

Reaction score
Thanks. I thought of another question - How often should I feed him in there? The article just says "not as often."

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Ktlagges,

I recommend you still offer food to the axie daily while fridged. In particular, i recommend a small amount of live blackworms and prawn pieces. The best time to try feed the axie is during your daily water changes. You can leave a small amount of live blackworms in the tub overnight until the next water change. Anything else, you would have to remove within 30min if left uneaten.

Cheers.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi,

The fridging will slow down your axolotls metabolism and also its need and desire to eat, so don't be suprised if it doesn't seem interested in food. There is no need to add stress coat to the water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!