There is something wrong with Rexi!!!

Tarja

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all, i just got up this morning and found my Rexi like this! He is really really fat and can hardly move! He is also holding his mouth open, but there is nothing in there......??????

I'll post up a before and after pic.......

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_3032.jpg

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused::confused::cry::cry:

He looks like he could have swallowed something. Phone your nearest amphibian vet and expain the symptoms, hun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tarja,

It looks as if it may be bloat.

I'm going to ask you to please pop Rex into a tub of fresh dechlorinated water, and place him in the fridge: http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Fridging.shtml

What are the tank parameters for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH?
What is the tank temperature?
What does Rex's main diet consist of?

If Rex does have bloat - the fluids will need to be drained by a vet.

Rayson (aka Darkmaverick) has compiled a list of herp vets in Australia that may be of great assistance to Rex: http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/vets.shtml

If you could answer the questions above, this will give us something to work with.

Hi Tarja,

Your axie has bloat. Bloat is actually not a disease itself per se but rather a visible sign that is indicative of several different pathology. Bloat is a condition whereby there is an accumulation of fluid in interstitial tissue spaces or in cavity such as ascities whereby there is pooling of fluids in the abdominal cavity.

Bloat can be brought on by several things such as organ failure, particularly of the liver, kidney, heart and lymphatic ducts, malnutrition, toxicity or scepticaemia which is a blood poisoning due to bacteria in the bloodstream. Diagnostic testing will be necessary to discern the cause.

Fridging is a temporary palliative but not curative solution. You will have to make a vet appointment. Normally, bloat don't occur overnight spontaneously. There should be tell tale signs something is amiss along the way. Have you noticed anything unusual lately?

Cheers.

The tank temperature is sitting at 16 degrees.

He mainly eats beef liver, beef heart and brine shrimp. He usually eats every 2-3 days and was last fed on Wednesday.

all tank measures (ph, nitrates etc) are fine.

The only thing that has changed is that in the last 2 months he hardly comes out of his cave, and his tank was moved about 3 weeks ago.

This is probably going to sound really bad, but what happens if i cant take him to the vet? I cant afford to take him :( I love him and i want to do whats best for him, but i'm broke! :(

Hi Tarja,

The diet is highly inappropriate for long term feeding. I believe it may play a part in his current condition. Suitable staples for axies include earthworms, axie pellets, blackworms and bloodworms. Beef liver, heart and shrimp are suitable only as occasional treats. Raw liver in particular can cause vitamin A toxicity (excessive amounts of Vit A) and malnutrition due to active enzymes. As a result, the axie's liver can get damaged (Hepatic Lipodosis/fatty liver syndrome). Liver damage in axies can cause bloat as the liver is the organ that helps in proper digestion and detoxification. I recommend the first thing you do is to change the diet. I do not recommend feeding raw livers.

It is essential to keep the water parameters and temperature optimum during this period. If you are currently fridging your axie, ensure daily 100% water changes. Do continue to offer food, particularly live blackworms during the fridging period. Judging from the photo, i would recommend you fridge your axie at least for 3 weeks and continually monitor throughout. Axies with bloat are susceptible to secondary infections so you want to ensure that he doesn't get a concurrent illness that compounds the bloat.

Fridging is the only procedure you can safely perform without veterinary attention. Hopefully your axie has a strong immunity to recover uneventfully. I do still highly recommend you bring it to a vet if possible as normally prophylactic antibiotics are warranted. If there are fluid buildup, aspirating the fluid can also help make the axie feel better as they can cause compressional discomfort to other organs.

Cheers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back