Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

First post: just found a wild albino!

bekker

Reaction score
hey all my name is matt and i live in Washington state. i was at a local pond yesterday and caught a few what i think are baby axolotl. i am almost positive they are a smaller species and not the larger tiger salamander types as we dont have tiger salamanders in Washington. anyways i found an albino one!! so i have been doing as much research as i can on care for them as i hope to raise this one and breed it. Any ideas or info would be much appreciated.

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Post some pics. Once we identify the species we can give precise care for it.
But in the mean time, put it in an aquarium with an airstone(optional) and a food source( daphnia, whiteworms, blackworms, brineshrimp, tubifex, masquito larvae, etc.)

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
I would be very surprised if they were axolotls... that is a name used for Ambystoma mexicanum. There are tiger salamanders in the eastern regions of Washington but if it is a local species it is probably Ambystoma gracile, which have axolotl-like larva or A. macrodactylum.

So post a pic or at least tell us if you are in eastern or western Washington. That will make ID much easier.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, photos would be helpful. How long are they? Are the eyes black or pink? I'm thinking they could be released axolotl pets (ugh), or some native species of salamander that happens to be very light colored.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!