Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Why do people like axies so much?

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Why do people like axies so much? I dont have one and think they are cool but not any cooler than newts. For those of you who are really into axies can you give me some reasons why they are so cool and why a person should get them. I have been looking into them.

Lacey

Reaction score
They are very interesting animals, very fun aswell. Some people just see them and fall in love, the same they do with newts. Just depends really. I have had Missy for 2 years now, and it has been brilliant. Just sitting watching her is exciting. Playing in her bubbles and so on. They also live a while. So you'd have one for a while :) They come in all different colours so theres a selection. Lots of fun time setting their tank up, and the proud feeling of keeping it at an excellent standard.
Also they can regenerate their limbs, isnt that so fascinating :)

kenya

Reaction score
I saw one video on YouTube and knew I needed one! I like fully aquatic tanks too, so that was a plus. A little lower maintenance than the newts and such that need half land half water. To be honest, I just love watching them. Lola Ray is walking around the tank with her nose in the sand in search of food [like always] and it's so cute to watch. Also, if you get close to the tank or touch the glass she comes over. Much more interactive than some of the fish and such out there.
I just can't not love them!<3

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I admit, I got my original pair as disposal units back when I was actively breeding about 30 species of freshwater fish. There is always the necessity to cull some of the spawn with fish, and I did not have the stomach to do it myself. Axolotls were the answer.

Problem was the little buggers grew on me. Their goofy looking "grins" and attentive habits when feeding became like a lava lamp to me. I just couldn't help watching them more than the fish. Once my health took a bad turn, I had to give up fish breeding. The axolotls stayed though.
Pretty soon, I was actively breeding them! That led to other amphibians and reptiles...

Even my wife, squeamish about most critters fell in love with them. To this day, she often reminisces about the original pair and how they would actively swim to the surface of the tank by the desk to be fed.

I think for many people, a quiet, easy to care for, hypoallergenic pet is very attractive. I know in many places, they are the only caudate that is legal to keep. I think the allure of what is really a very uncommon pet attracts a lot of keepers too.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's my theory. I think that axolotls are particularly attractive to folks who start out liking fish. Axolotls have all the benefits of having a tank of fish, but are just so much cooler! I think axolotls are less obsessively-attractive to people who start out liking herps. If you're already into snakes and turtles and frogs, then axolotls are not that much more interesting.

Personally, I came from a fishy background, but was also introduced to newts early on. When I learned about the marvels of axolotls, I thought they were neat, but they didn't seem any more interesting than newts.

Chloe

Reaction score
i like them because they look like little dragons that i drew when i was a kid.
they are just so funny looking you can't stop watching them with their big mouths and feathery heads. when they open their mouths it looks like they are grinning at you.
they also seem to have quirky personalities.
:p

~chloe

Yucca Patrol

Reaction score
20 years ago, I read the short story "The Axolotl" by Julio Cortazar. It was incredible. So I found a photo of one in the library (no internets back then) and knew that someday I would have them myself.

They are adorable and about as close to an outerspace alien looking critter one could keep as a pet.

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I really enjoyed reading why you like axies. Jennewt I think you have a good point about herp background or fish background. I came from a herp background so I like axies but not not any more than any more than newts. They do intrigue me though.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Well i like axies because of the many colours available. Im superficial like that. :D

PanTech

Reaction score
I was wondering the exact same thing until i went to a relatives house and saw his axolotl. I started out with frogs and salamanders as a kid, but had never seen an axolotl before. I just fell in love, unlike any other herp i have encountered! Im setting up my first axie tank as we speak, and plan on purchasing one in the fall. :)

JSTER720

Reaction score
I'm not sure, maybe because there intresting to watch or just how they look. I haven't seen one up close or anything, Im not sure they live where I do, but if I did, I would probably take him home. But my answer is not sure

axiewhisperer

Reaction score
I like my axies because:

1) They do the silliest and most insane things/poses, and I cannot stay in a bad mood after looking at them perched in a tree by one leg or something. I have been found by my partner rolling around the floor laughing more times than I care to tell you.
2) They are pretty with their gills and colours and docile grins.
3) They have little personalities in a way that most fish don't (apologies if anyone out there has a particularly amazing fishie).
4) Nobody else I know keeps them. A friend and owner of a fluffy little dog (once again, love dogs, no offence intended) has informed me that I am a 'freak' however I personally believe that being a little bit different is a GOOD thing.
5) Messing with the tank and decorating and testing water is fun for me and a break from work or uni or whatever.
6) Once I saw their little faces, I fell in love. :love:

axolotlgangster

Reaction score
Why do people like axies so much? I dont have one and think they are cool but not any cooler than newts. For those of you who are really into axies can you give me some reasons why they are so cool and why a person should get them. I have been looking into them.
Because we do! And they're cool looking!

ianclick

Reaction score
Because they look cool, and they regenerate and they're neotonic, oh and they look really cool

melfly

Reaction score
I first saw one on ebay whilst looking for fish tanks.
I was like 'OMG i gotta get me one o them'
So i came.....here.

And was lucky enough to get hold of some eggs.
Mine are just about getting to the age where they actually look like axolotls.

My favourite is really quite sociable with me i could sit and watch them for hours!
They are just soo cool to look at.

And i too get called a freak for having them lol

Mel

Markw

Reaction score
+1 to all stated above. Thats the easy way to do it.

Mark

Spartacus

Reaction score
I agree with everyone else. They are just charmingly adorable. Everyone I know has grown to love mine. Its adorable to watch some of the sillier ones try to bite your finger through the glass, thinking its food, or when they do the axie-equivalent of yawning. My wee one opened his mouth SOOO wide last night, I couldn't stop laughing. I also enjoy watching one freak out, swim around the tank fast, and barrel into the other two so that they all go nuts.

Long story short, cute and entertaining. When they feel like moving. Such dorky, weird creatures, I love them.

lisalee2

Reaction score
I agree with every one too, they are so cute in my eyes, i have 7 axolotls now and i used to breed them and got a couple of babies from a couple of batches, i could keep geting more, but partner will not let me. There so addorable i fell in love with them as soon as i sore them and quite easy to look after if you know what you are doing and have done quite a bit of reserch on them, i have now had axolotls for nealy 4 years and they are my world all my animals are my world, but like any animals only buy if you know how to look after and care for them.
Lisa

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1