Bull frog

Start with a BIG tank. Mostly water, some land.

I know that they eat anything that will fit in their mouths! Haha

These are large voracious predators. They are also very noisy, but they are easy to take care of, providing you can keep up with their hefty appetites. They can also be vectors for disease, so use proper husbandry techniques to prevent disasters with your salamanders.

50 gallon tank is recommended for one large adult frog (they can get big 6-8 inches is average sometimes bigger). Be sure to house individually, can be territorially and/or cannibalistic, especially males! Mostly water, with a small land area (1/3 land 3/4 water is a good ratio). Be sure the water is fairly deep, at least 6inches and be sure it is filtered. But in regards to filtration use a filter that creates little current b/c bullfrogs inhabit still waters. Temperature range of around 78-82 during the day, with a slight drop at night. For substrate, be sure it is larger than the frog can swallow. Big frog = big mouth. Provide a photo period, and keep moderate humidity (60-70%). A very very hardy species with a large appetite. I would recommend chopped night crawlers, large crickets and roaches when the frog is smaller. And feed large night crawlers, large roaches, grasshoppers, locust and any other large invertebrates you can get your hands on (just be sure they are pesticide free). Enjoy and good luck!

These guys can jump so far and are so powerful that you really do need a large enclosure - if the frog freaks out in a small enclosure it can and will do great damage to itself. I saw one jump straight into a barbed wire fence last night when I tried to catch it (first time I've ever tried - hey I'm not American) and it had to hurt.

Big Tank with some deep water and gravel at bottom or rocks, not sure of temperature but make sure to have lots of aquatic plants and a rock big enough to sit on as they are rarely out of water

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back