What species next?

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
AJ
Hello everyone, I currently keep N.v.l.'s(notos) and Triturus Dobrogicus. I want to get another species. I am looking into P. waltl, Cynops, Taricha, Tylototriton verrucosus, and Triturus marmoratus. If you keep any of these, which is likely, tell me why a person would want to get them please. I am into aquatic species by the way. Thanks.

My C. Orientalis are totally aquatic as adults. They did spend their time on land for many months after I bought them (foolish me, I now know they are WC.) Since returning to the water, they have never been seen on land and are now parents to 45+ larvae. So, if you'd be interested in breeding them, they do so quite readily. We saw our first larva 11 months after we got the pair - had no idea we had a male and a female and did nothing to encourage it. I'm willing to donate some juveniles when the time is right if you're interested! I've had four morph and I'm worried about them regarding eating, etc. I have 40 more larvae and several eggs which should be hatching any day. It has been very educational for our entire family (I have three boys, 5, 7, 9) to watch the larvae develop in the egg sacs. We've grown quite fond of the little guys. I have donated some eggs to one enthusiast, have another fellow hobbyist waiting for another bunch. I have separated my pair in hopes of ceasing the egg laying, so I don't know how long it will continue, but if it does, and raising them from eggs is something you'd like to do, you could be on the list. It is like a little miracle in the making.

Anyway, I have no other experience with the other types you mentioned.

Good luck,
Dana

Well, I keep terrestrial, but I do know a bit about some of those species. Taricha usually are active. They will become friendly and used to you eventually, from what I heard. P. Waltl is very easy to keep, for they eat many things and can be kept easily. That's all I have to offer for now, good luck.

I'd recommend you go and get P. waltl. They are outgoing, very active, will eat anything, they get huge, they are cheap, and easily captive bred. What else could you ask for out of a newt?:D

Thankyou everyone for your suggestions and stories. P. waltl do sound cool and So do Cynops o. Taricha are really cool but can they handle a max temp of 75?

P.waltl should. In fact all of them should as long as they are healthy and it´s not for long periods of time, but it´s obviously not ideal.
All Cynops from petshops are WC which makes them a worse choice. Dana´s generous offering would be best, but this is a tiny species at morphing time and it´s not the easiest to raise. With some individuals it can be a real pain.

I too think P.waltl is the ideal option. In fact i hope they become the new Cynops xD.

One thing to keep in mind:

As the size of your collection increases, the cost of maintaining it increases exponentially. While I will not discourage anyone from adding another species, just carefully weigh all the cost involved first. Also, I highly suggest setting up a tank and then getting the critter for it.

P.watl and Cynops sp. are both fun choices!

I know about the cost. I do have a part time job and am selling some dobro morphs so I will have enough funds. I want to get a large tank that I could grow a colony of newts in. It would be really nice if I could raise the babies with the adults in the adult tank. Do any species not eat thier own larvae or babies? I thought I read that Cynops dont eat thier babies and can be raised with the adults. P. waltl eat anything so I couldnt raise the babies with the parents.

I think most will eat the young and/or the eggs, though I believe I was told that they're less likely to eat the fertile eggs (some are duds) and probably prey upon the weak that wouldn't make it, anyway. Azhael raises his Cynops in one tank and has had success. I've taken nearly every egg out and hatched it separately and I currently have 8 tanks going of various ages of larvae, new morphs and the two adults who are now separated. It's a lot of work. If my kids didn't search for eggs and insist I remove them, I'd probably let it all go in one tank, but it's hard for the boys who don't really understand about selection and survival of the fittest. They believe they will save the world and everything in it!

I will say that this morph stage is a killer - I'm worried as I can't be sure any of the four have eaten. I tried to hand feed them again today and they turned away. I've put smaller food in there, hoping they're eating it while I'm not looking.

Good luck with your decision,
Dana

I would like some Neurergus kaiseri. Does anyone know where I could get some? I know they are expensive.

I would like some Neurergus kaiseri. Does anyone know where I could get some? I know they are expensive.

If I were you, I'd give up on that here and now. Stick to what the others have suggested. P.waltl definitely get my vote.

I have decided to wait to get N. k. for a long time(years). But I wont give up. Someday I will have them. I am now thinking I will get Mesotriton apuanas apuanas or Cynops cyanurus.

I vote for waltl too. They are fantastic, and fun, and next to T. verr. and T. grans, I like them best.

I know this is an old thread, but still not sure what to get. I have narrowed it down to:

1. Alpine newt(Mesotriton a. apuanas)
2. Japanese fire belly
3. Blue tailed fire belly(Cynops Cyanurus)

Which would you choose?

Alpine Newts look amazing. I would love to keep one, one day. I have looked and never seem to find any anywhere and havent the slightest clue on how to keep one.

Dawn, you keep Mesotriton a. apuanas, right? How outgoing are they? What kind/size of setup do you have? What do you use for a staple?

Alpine Newts look amazing. I would love to keep one, one day. I have looked and never seem to find any anywhere and havent the slightest clue on how to keep one.

The nice thing about Mesotriton alpestris apuanas is they like the water. Newly metamorphosed ones do well in shallow water. Acclimated ones do well totally aquatic. Some of my new metamorphs are in deep water but most are in shallow water. In a few months all will be in deep water. Some of the other subspecies of alpine newts need more time on land.

You won't find alpine newts at the local pet shop but they are often for sale here. I'm breeding them and have some available from 2 other breeders.

My alpine newts are in a 40 gallon breeder tank, and I'm not sure exactly how many I have. About 20. Also they bred this year, I didn't even see the eggs, and now I have a few larvae, not sure how many. I'm not selling or giving any away, though, because I want the colony to get bigger first. They didn't breed last year. They aren't as outgoing as larger newts, and I've learned I prefer larger newts, but these are so beautiful that I like them a lot. I feed them chopped earthworms, and sometimes whiteworms, rarely blackworms for a treat.

Just a note...it´s apuanus, not apuanas xD Sorry it was bugging me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back