Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: rarer species

stanleyc

Reaction score
I've had some cynops orientalis for a while now and love them. But I'd also like to keep 1 or 2 other species, Ambystoma Opacum being on my mind right now. But the pet shops I've been to usually only have the common fire bellies and paddletails. Do pet shops usually carry species like teh marbled salamander or the ringed? If not, where else can I find them?

thanks

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you find either of these species offered, they will be wild-caught. No offense, but do you really want to reward ($) people who collect these animals out of the wild? If you live within the range of an abundant population of these sals, it would be better (from a conservation point of view) to collect your own. Be sure to check local laws. Or consider finding a species that is captive-bred.

katebutton

Reaction score
I know that there is a breeder selling metamorphed A. opacum that are captive raised (eggs collected from the wild) if you don't have the resources to find your own. I think he is a member here in fact, and I bought some mandarin newts from him about a year ago that I have been very happy with. The website is amphibianaquatics.com

Nathan050793

Reaction score
I know that there is a breeder selling metamorphed A. opacum that are captive raised (eggs collected from the wild) if you don't have the resources to find your own. I think he is a member here in fact, and I bought some mandarin newts from him about a year ago that I have been very happy with. The website is amphibianaquatics.com

I'd definitely recommend buying captive-raised from Peter. In the conversations I've had with him he certainly seems highly knowledgeable. He is, in fact, a member here; Here are some responses from other users who've done business with him- http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56819

stanleyc

Reaction score
I'm sorry but that link for his site didn't work

edit, nvm I found his profile and sent a message to him, thanks again

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1