Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: New to breeding!

shady

Reaction score
Hi all,
Well i thought it would never come to fruition but low-and behold we have over a hundred developing little eggs! Just had a couple of questions and would more than welcome any and all advice!!

1. Should i be doing regular water changes? I have moved the eggs (still attatched to their plants), over to their own tank away from mum and dad, the water is crystal clear and i have a gentle air flow which is not disturbing the eggs themselves at all. I'm also maintaing a constant temperature.
2. I have noticed a couple of eggs that are not developing... they have become whitish and opaque. Should i remove these eggs from the tank and risk disturbing their brothers and sisters?

Im sure i'll have plenty more questions to come! And will be greatful for any input!

Cliff

Reaction score
1. Should i be doing regular water changes?

I would say that you are okay with the same water all the way through the egg stage, what you are doing sounds good. Its what I did with my little guys. I would start looking for food to feed them a week after they hatch. If you can source some daphnia or set up a hatchery or two for Baby Brine Shrimp, they are perfect for the little hatched larvae.

2. I have noticed a couple of eggs that are not developing... they have become whitish and opaque. Should i remove these eggs from the tank and risk disturbing their brothers and sisters?

I would take out the undeveloped ones incase they grow mold, I wouldnt worry about disturbing the other eggs, they have a couple of layers of egg jelly stuff (very technical name) to keep them safe. (on that note I actually experienced a larvae that developed out of its egg casing, although it was already well on its way to hatching on his own.)

also have a look at these invaluable links;
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/why_larvae_die.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/raising.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/microfoods.shtml

Hope this helps,
Cliff

shady

Reaction score
Hello,
Thanks so much for your reply! I feel much more confident about what i have been doing and what i need to do :) Also thanks regarding the tip on organizing a food source; i have managed to find some brine shrimp eggs and i will do a trial hatching before the little ones are even ready for them just to make sure that i have it all organized! I'm sure I'll come up with more questions soon!
:D Debs

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Debs,

It sounds like you are doing all the right things and good idea to set up a hatchery and try a batch before they are needed. Jen has a simple home made BBS hatchery instructions at the links given by Cliff, I have got 344 eggs about 7 days old now its cool to watch them develope.

Cliff

Reaction score
Hey Shady how did it go with the eggs and the BBS?
You should be an axie grandparent by now lol, with lots of tiny little larvae mouths to feed!
I hope you have prepared well with the micro foods they really do get through alot.
I can't emphisize enough at how useful micro-worm are, if you can get your hands on a culture I really reccomend them, very robust, a little goes a long way and can save your little guys lives if you run short on your other foods. - I just lost 3 bottles worth of BBS and something (a mayfly larvae I think) had been eating my daphinia. I only just remembered I had the microworm, was so relieved! Also seems easier to feed the larvae microworm than BBS in my opinion (with the BBS I find it very hard to get the shrimp without the eggs).
Post some pics if you can! I'm uploading some pics of my larvae now :D he he!

Cliff

shady

Reaction score
Hey Cliff!
Wow sorry for the huge delay in reply!! Have been super busy and man do those lil axies keep you busy!! Haha not quite an axie grandparent yet but must say that they're all doing very well :proud: Had a few problems with the BBS at first so very glad that i did do a trial! I've been feeding "the babies" about twice a day with Daphnia for the past couple of weeks and it's great watching them hunting! They've developed their front legs now and despite plenty of food they just cant seem to resist a quick nibble of a brother or sister here or there! Tomorrow will see me setting up a new tank in order to seperate the larger from the smaller! I've posted a few pictures so hope you get to check them out! And thanks for the tip re. micro worms :) I did have a look into them but now that you have mentioned them i might re-look into it as an alternative for later on :happy: Im off to check out your larvae!
Debs

shady

Reaction score
Hey!
Yeah totally agree! It has been a real experience watching them all grow from egg into what i've come to call my babies!! I think i'll re-visit BBS as have been feeding the little axies Daphnia which they LOVE but are starting to get a lil pricey with the amounts that they are consuming! I'm sure your eggs have hatched by now so hope they're all looking good :)
Debs

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1