New Axolotl Pics !! (Wildtype?)

Zolotl

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys,

Heres some pics of my new axolotl I think hes a male due to his pointed snout and slender build. Ive been thinking of calling him Marmalade but Im not entirely sure yet. Im just wondering as well as what colour class he would be classified as? :D:D

Attachments

• axie1.jpg
    axie1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 441
  • Axie2.jpg
    Axie2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,185
  • Axie3.jpg
    Axie3.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 403
Hi Zolotl,

I love the copper coloured wildtypes. Males are more easily identified through their prominent cloacal bulge upon sexual maturity. Although males in general have a more slender build and 'pointer' head than females, pudgey male axies can still appear 'female' in shape.

Cheers.

Hi Rayson,

Its bit hard to tell hes quite young still, from my experience Im not sure of this entirely but Ive found that the female axolotls tend to be quite massive and have a wider shorter snout. Im sure theres quite a difference in build between the sexes esp in the belly and snout but I would have to wait till hes older to tell 100% for sure. He does have some slight cloacal bulge but he still quite young.

Anyway hes a beautiful colour is his gold copper colouration due to an abundance of xanthophore activity do you think? Hes amazingly active at the moment even though it quite cold.

Peter

Great looking axolotl, I have become a fan of the coppertone axies as well

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back