Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How old is my Axie?

Fumi

Reaction score
Hey! I'm new to Caudata and new to Axolotls too. I've been researching them over the last few months, but it was only on Saturday that I brought home my new family member - a tiny white axie. What I really want to know is how old she is. The store didn't seem to know. All they could tell me is that they had her for about 6 weeks. I wonder if anyone could make an educated guess? I have uploaded photos of her.

I say 'she', because I'm sure she has reached sexual maturity (her toes look dirty and I've read that this is a sign that she has matured) and going by the examples on the http://www.axolotl.org/ site, I'm fairly sure I have a little girl. She is about 4 inches long - it's difficult to tell as she's never flat against the glass of her tank. She seems very thin but I put this down to the fact that she is young. I realise that she probably isn't that tiny as far as axies go, but to me she's miniature.

Would also love to hear tips anyone has for a nooby like me. Different ideas for food? She had her first worm today and I cannot believe how fast she ate it! She also shook a little while eating it. Was this her way of keeping it from escaping?

Attachments

• FumiWeb.gif
    FumiWeb.gif
    37.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1771.JPG
    IMG_1771.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1798.JPG
    IMG_1798.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1784.JPG
    IMG_1784.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 168

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Fiona,

at that size I would guess somewhere between 6 and 8 months, enjoy your new leucistic axolotl

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Fumi,

Your axie does look like a juvenile on the brink of sexual maturity. I would estimate less than a year but more than 6 months.

Cheers.

Fumi

Reaction score
Excellent! So I have a little Madame on my hands. Saying that if she's just on the brink of maturity, then I may have an immature male...! I will have to wait and see if I have a little Fumi or a little Fu.

Okay, I know this sounds strange, but I fed Fumi her first worm yesterday evening, and I swear she's grown an inch in length over night and she's definitely got a bit of a belly going on. I only gave her a small worm this morning as I wasn't sure if she was ready for another one.

However, seeing the last part of Florieke's post 'New axolotl owner' I'm worried that she's not eating enough. You can see her ribs in some of her photos quite prominently. I know it's difficult to say, but how much should I feed her a day? And how many times a day etc.?

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Fiona,

Your axie appears to be in good body condition. I would say its just nice. Those are not 'ribs' you are seeing but rather costal grooves. They are a normal anatomical feature.

As your axie is still young, i would go for either alternate days or three times a week feeding session. You can offer either a single large earthworm, a small ball of blackworms, a cube of defrosted bloodworms or about 3-5 axie pellets during each feeding session. You can try offer a variety and the occasional treat as well.

Cheers

Fumi

Reaction score
Hi again! I fed Fumi a small worm this morning, which she seemingly ate, and when I got home this evening it was on the bottom of the tank. I'm not sure if it was the whole worm chewed up, or if it was just the worms skin. Is this sort of behaviour normal? And should I assume that she hasn't eaten today? Or count that as a meal? Thanks.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Fiona,

Chances are the worm was spat out. When axies feed, the tend to swallow the whole worm (or spit it out). Their teeth are not meant for ripping or shredding but rather just to hold and reposition the prey in the mouth before swallowing.

I would recommend you take out that worm and try feed a new worm, watching to see if it swallows or brings it up again.

Cheers.

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Hi Fiona

My lotl does this sometimes too - generally he'll do it after he's already ate a few worms though, so I think he'll gobble it out of habit, but then realise he is full and spit it out...he seems to do it more with big worms too, maybe the worm you fed was a bit large for her to swallow in one go?

Zoe x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1