Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

i'm getting my 2 Axolotl tomorrow or friday

SmartBartje

Reaction score
I was just wondering. I'm getting em tomorrow or friday and they're 4-5 cm long. Kinda small still, 2 months old.

I was wondering if the tank with water should be completely full or should I keep the water low for a while considering they're so small?

Thanks in advance! :D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
At that size, I'd keep them in a large bowl (or tupperware dish). It's a lot easier to monitor their food and such in a smaller container.

Plus, this gives you time to make sure your tank is all set! Have you cycled it? Got all your hides set up?

flan123

Reaction score
Kaysie is right.

Keep them in a small container with a secure lid (air-holed, of course)

Change the water AT LEAST twice daily with fresh dechlorinated (don't use tap water alone, even if you've had it standing as this does not remove some of the heavy metals) water at the same temperature.

Is your tank cycling at the moment? Do you have live plants? A source of ammonia?

melfly

Reaction score
Mine have always been ok with 1 100% water change per day

Mel

SmartBartje

Reaction score
So, they're coming tomorrow. My tank is fully cycled and yes, I've got live plants in em. So I should keep em in a seperate tank for a while? :)

SmartBartje

Reaction score
They've finally arrived and they're so cute! I've put em in a smaller tank so feeding em would be way easier. So thanks for the advice!

*in love*

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!