Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Java Moss

Greg31

Reaction score
I just recieved some java moss. What would be best way to apply it to my tank? Can i just let it float and do its thing? Or do i need to tie to something?

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Greg,

It's really up to you.

Java moss is very versatile. You can either just let it float around, or tie it to something - whatever your personal tastes dictate.

I presently have java moss just floating around in one of my tanks, in time I will be afixing these to rocks and logs, but right now I'm not keen to put my hands in that cold water ;).

b00f

Reaction score
Hi there

I would suggest searching on this forum, and even just on google.

"how to use java moss"

There are HEAPS of tutorials.

You can just let it float around, or you can tie to to stuff with fishing line, or put it on rocks.

The possibilities are almost endless

Aaron

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I love java moss. It is the only live aquatic plant I use now a days. (Although my new axolotl tank will be devoid of it, but more on that in a few weeks...;))

It will grow under just about any tank condition. It is tolerant of both caudate friendly and tropical conditions. It works in hard, soft and brackish water. It grows over everything, even up the sides of the tank.

It can look a bit raggedy at first, but once it grows in, I find it very appealing.

FireBelly1.jpg

Here is an example of it in my Bombina tank, as you can see it grows submerged, above the surface, and terrestrially if it is wet enough....great stuff and care free!

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
I agree with SludgeMunkey, it is very hardy and will grow almost anywhere with water. It really likes water current, I ran water from my filter up to a land area where it collects in a pool and falls. Java moss seems to grow the best and fastest here and has followed the water all the way up to the hose in a matter of weeks! The nice thing is the java moss decreases the flow which is nice because the newts like it calm. I've even been growing some completely terrestrial with heavy water. Great stuff is right!

Mitch

Neuter

Reaction score
Just how much light does java moss need?

I have a tank with a few fire belly newts. My newts are happy and healthy(which makes me happy ;) ).

I have my tank near a window, but I keep the shades closed. The temperature on the tank is good, my place is pretty cool. There is enough light in the room that I can read in there at any time during the day and often do, but really no actual direct sunlight. It is not a dark basement, but it is somewhat dark.

Will java moss be able to survive in that sort of conditions? If not, would buying a very small light and keeping it on for a few hours a day work? A small one, I don't want to heat the water up.

Also, how much should I expect to pay for java moss? The local shops vary wildly in prices, dont want to get ripped off.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Java moss will grow with just the light from the room, it won't over run your tank, but it will still grow none the less. And I paid $.99 for a handfull of it at my local fish store.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Just how much light does java moss need?

I have a tank with a few fire belly newts. My newts are happy and healthy(which makes me happy ;) ).

I have my tank near a window, but I keep the shades closed. The temperature on the tank is good, my place is pretty cool. There is enough light in the room that I can read in there at any time during the day and often do, but really no actual direct sunlight. It is not a dark basement, but it is somewhat dark.

Will java moss be able to survive in that sort of conditions? If not, would buying a very small light and keeping it on for a few hours a day work? A small one, I don't want to heat the water up.

Also, how much should I expect to pay for java moss? The local shops vary wildly in prices, dont want to get ripped off.

I find it will grow very slowly in ambient light, if you want it to grow fast I found a standard 12 on 12 off lighting scheme using standard T8 fluorescent lighting causes it to double each month at 65-70º F fully submerged.

I agree with Justin on the terrestrial growth. It actually seems to prefer growing up the sides of the tank and around the edges of my waterfalls.

Prices vary, however, comparing shops coast to coast on average I have seen the "standard" portion go for 5 USD give or take a buck. I wouldn't worry about getting ripped off. This stuff grows so well and fast, you will be swimming in it in a matter of months!

I got some for free back in 2003. There was a few threads of it tangled in an Anubis plant I purchased. Those few strands spawned the culture of it I have going to this day.

nora

Reaction score
It is hardy! It survived winter ice and is flourishing in my little outdoor pond. The indoor tank (only ambient light) has such growth that I'm trying to make a wall of it. I wove some strands on craft plastic webbing hoping it will eventually fill in and make a wall.
xMIDNIGHTx- that's a great idea about it decreasing water current. I think I'll make tube of java moss to deflect some current. Thanks for the idea.:happy:

mechanic380

Reaction score
I hope I am not being rude but Java moss is not indigenous to the US. As such I would think it would be inappropriate to use it outdoors where it could spread, become invasive, and disrupt natural ecosystems. Hopefully others will read this rather than thinking it is great because it survives freezing temperatures. I'm sure it has been introduced many times by people cleaning aquariums but I still would not encourage its outdoor use.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. There have been some horrific invasive plants already introduced into US waters by aquarium-keepers. I don't know if java moss has this potential, but better not to test it. I would discourage anyone from putting it in an outdoor pond.

nora

Reaction score
Not to worry. This is an outdoor container pond,not a natural pond. I wouldn't think of adding to the local pond. It is a unique environment where I live.
I spent 10 years in S. Florida and consider that state is an invasive species situation a nightmare.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Even though you might think it is safe from spreading in an outside container pond this is not true.
Visiting animals such as ducks, geese, and racoons have a way of getting peices of plants, seeds and fish eggs stuck to them. Only to drop them off in the next pond that they land in.

nora

Reaction score
I appreciate the info. The pond is covered at night(to protect my fish from raccoons) and nothing gets close in the day due to my greyhound. Even if there would be a huge rain deluge, I have a setup that collects the runoff from the top of the pond and it goes into a holding tank. I really don't want to lose my fish,fry or plants.:happy:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
As a bryophyte it can also reproduce by spores, and i doubt you could control that if it happened.
Just don´t risk introducing it...if it´s as incredibly adaptable in the wild as it is in our aquariums it could certainly be extremely invasive.

As an aquairum plant..i love it...it grows so damn well....and i think it´s beautiful(then again i love bryphytes and pteridophytes....)l

nora

Reaction score
I can't control a spore! Back it goes into the indoor tanks. Fish can figure out how to spawn with out plant life.
I do have a question. If it is completely submerged (it is attached to a submerged rock in 2 feet of water)how does the spores spread outside of the tank. Do they go from waterborne to airborne? It has never spread in my indoor tanks. They sit right next to each other.

Markw

Reaction score
Id think the spreading by spores goes along with the animal thing. Spores-> waterborne-> animal fur/feathers-> another pond or stream. Correct me if Im wrong, but thats what I was thinking. Great thread. Answers alot of common questions as well as some of mine.

Mark

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Here is a shot of some spores in Vesicularia dubyana, the plant most commonly sold as Java Moss in the United States:

Spores.jpg

You can clearly see the dark dots that form along the strands of plant.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I love that photo. Besides showing the spores very clearly, it has that lovely shot of the frog's bum bum. :lol:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1