first time Axie owner

Crazypills

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all,
Been thinking about getting some Axies for a while now and decided to take the plunge and order a tank. Being the research and planning nut that I am, I thought I'd see what you experts have to say about my plans. I’ve never actually had a fish tank before so this is all new to me. BTW this tank will be going in my bedroom.

I’ve ordered a custom tank that’s 34" x 16" x 16" (142L), this should comfortably fit 2 maybe 3 full-grown Axies?

Gear list
- Api freshwater master testing kit
- Sand substrate (either play sand or pool filter sand)
- Live plants like java moss anchored to rocks so they can’t dig them up
- Stress coat water purifier
- Ornament hiding places
- Small air stone + air pump
- Other basic stuff like filter brush, bucket, hose, thermometer, etc..
- For a food source I was hoping to setup a small earthworm farm
- For a filter I was thinking about getting something similar to this: http://www.theaquariumshop.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=1417&name=AquarWorld Aquarium Hang On Filter H300

Questions
- Have I forgotten anything?
- Will the light from my room be enough for easy growing plants like java moss? (The tank won’t be -anywhere near a window) or will I need some florescent tubes?
- Is there anything else I should use apart from stress coat to treat my tap water?
- How strong will my filter need to be to keep the tank clean?
- Any recommendations for a filter? I’m looking for easy maintenance and low noise especially.
- I’ve noticed that there are actually many types of earthworms, any recommendations? Anything I should avoid?
- What should I use to cycle the tank? I’ve heard some people use pure ammonia while others use a piece of meat.
- While doing maintenance should I ever clean the filter media?
- How often should I replace the filter media and carbon source if I have any?

I found a very cool looking blue Axie on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NiqWprIeUw&feature=related
I would absolutely love to own one this colour but I take it that this sort of colour is very rare?

I'm also hoping to get my Axies from this site once I get my tank and cycle it.

Thanks for reading.

Sounds to me like you have done your homework! (And believe me when I say that is something to be proud of!)

Most of your questions can be answered here:

http://www.axolotl.org/
and here:
http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/
and here:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles_axolotl.shtml

Just about everything else you never wanted to know can be found through the forum search function. ;) The axolotl crowd on this forum is extremely active!

The blue looking axie video you found looks to be a wild type to me, the blue color is a result of aquarium lighting and digital video. If you find some one with blue ones though, drop me a line! That would be a sight to behold!

In North America, it is generally considered "off season" for shipping axolotls due to the heat right now, however, a gander at the "For Sale" section will hook you up with quite a few breeders that have animals available and are able to ship them to you.

I warn you though...once you get your first caudate, the addiction grows and expands. Soon your better half is throwing frozen burritos at you because their are more animals in the house than people...:eek:

Hi Crazypills,

Thats great research you did beforehand. Thorough and organised. Have a read through the links on this page, particularly on filters and worms.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles_axolotl.shtml

Will the light from my room be enough for easy growing plants like java moss? (The tank won’t be -anywhere near a window) or will I need some florescent tubes?

Java moss is one of those plants that are hardy and can thrive in cold dark tanks. They have minimal light requirements. You won't really need any additional lights but provision of a low wattage light source can help it grow better and allow visualisation of the tank and inhabitants at night.

- Is there anything else I should use apart from stress coat to treat my tap water?

A good dechlorinator should suffice. If your water souce is on the soft side, you can increase water hardness by addition of some freshwater aquarium salts. However in most circumstances, this is not really necessary. You can bring a sample of your water source to your local aquarium shop to have it tested. I do not recommend adding 'bacteria cultures'.

- How strong will my filter need to be to keep the tank clean?

Look at the flow rate/working capacity of the filter. I prefer getting something slightly stronger than required. You can always turn the setting lower and use a spray bar etc to diffuse currents.

- Any recommendations for a filter? I’m looking for easy maintenance and low noise especially.

I recommend an external canister filter. They are the most efficient type.

- I’ve noticed that there are actually many types of earthworms, any recommendations? Anything I should avoid?

Nightcrawlers are readily accepted by axies. Red wrigglers can put off some axies.

- What should I use to cycle the tank? I’ve heard some people use pure ammonia while others use a piece of meat.

Personally i prefer using a small piece of shrimp. I find it easier to manage and monitor but thats your personal preference.

- While doing maintenance should I ever clean the filter media?

Yes, you can just rinse of solid debris collected on the filter media with some tank water.

- How often should I replace the filter media and carbon source if I have any?

Frequent smaller replacements are better than one huge replacement. I personally replace mine once every 3 months.

Cheers.

Hi and welcome
Well done for doing all your research!!!!:D

Mel

Thanks for the links guys there's some good info in there.

I have another question though. Though my tanks capacity is 142L (37.7g) after allowing room for substrate (1") and the gap between the top of the tank and the water level (2") there will be only 115L (30g) of water.

Does that mean that a filter designted for 30g tanks will be sufficient? e.g. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DIRPU...iveASIN=B0002DIRPU&adid=0158NQP6TK1MB5NPKECD&

If not then ill have to get a hang on filter as regular canister filters are bloody expensive!

Edit: Just came across this http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=3347&catID=83 anyone have any experience with using one of these? It seems very cheap.

Thanks for the links guys there's some good info in there.

I have another question though. Though my tanks capacity is 142L (37.7g) after allowing room for substrate (1") and the gap between the top of the tank and the water level (2") there will be only 115L (30g) of water.

Does that mean that a filter designted for 30g tanks will be sufficient? e.g. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DIRPU...iveASIN=B0002DIRPU&adid=0158NQP6TK1MB5NPKECD&

If not then ill have to get a hang on filter as regular canister filters are bloody expensive!

Edit: Just came across this http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=3347&catID=83 anyone have any experience with using one of these? It seems very cheap.

Aye, a filter rated for a 30gal tank should be fine. Good on you for taking the tank decorations and substrate into account when planning filtration and stocking density!

Personally, I tend to go undersized on filters for my axolotl tanks. This keeps the stressing currents to a minimum. Mind you the adults I keep no more than two to a tank of the size you describe.

Aye, a filter rated for a 30gal tank should be fine. Good on you for taking the tank decorations and substrate into account when planning filtration and stocking density!

Personally, I tend to go undersized on filters for my axolotl tanks. This keeps the stressing currents to a minimum. Mind you the adults I keep no more than two to a tank of the size you describe.

Cheers mate! This has got to be one of the friendliest forums I've ever been on. :D

I'm now leaning towards getting an Aquaclear power filter. The 30g and the 50g one have only a $10 difference, so do you think it would be wiser to get the bigger one considering I'll have to turn down the flow rate?
I doubt I'll end up putting 3 axies in the tank. Might use the extra space for more plants :happy:

Hey Crazypills

Well done on all the research :happy:.

In regards to reducing the flow of your filter, you can use a spray bar, or stones/plants/turtle islands to diffuse the water flow.

Zoe x

Ordered all my gear today! :D Hopefully by next week I can start cycling.

I'm still undecided about lighting though. The plants I was thinking of getting are java fern, amazon sword and maybe chain sword. Here's a link to some lighting I found http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.c...5-39w-high-output-aquarium-light/prod_15.html
The site says that the globes that come with it are 10,000 to 14,000 Kelvin globes.

Would this be too much light? (I'd obviously only have one globe running)
and do HO lights make much heat compared to T8 and power compacts?
If I go without the lighting will these plants survive/grow?

Also does anyone have any experience with growing a carpet of plants with axolotls? I'm worried they might dig it up or the carpet will make it too hard to clean up their waste.

Lastly I know I can anchor java fern onto rocks and wood but what about amazon sword and the chain sword? If I have to bury them in substrate will regular play sand be sufficient? Also how deep will the substrate have to be for the plant to grow?

Thanks again.

If you look at the aquascaping post by Frank and also the aquascaping page at Caudata Culture you will find lots of information about plants, lighting and substrate. Sorry I don't have the links to hand, but if you do a search for 'aquascaping' you're bound to come across Franks post! He has a absolutely stunning tank, with lots of plants and axolotls!

Ordered all my gear today! :D Hopefully by next week I can start cycling.

I'm still undecided about lighting though. The plants I was thinking of getting are java fern, amazon sword and maybe chain sword. Here's a link to some lighting I found http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.c...5-39w-high-output-aquarium-light/prod_15.html
The site says that the globes that come with it are 10,000 to 14,000 Kelvin globes.

Would this be too much light? (I'd obviously only have one globe running)
and do HO lights make much heat compared to T8 and power compacts?
If I go without the lighting will these plants survive/grow?

Also does anyone have any experience with growing a carpet of plants with axolotls? I'm worried they might dig it up or the carpet will make it too hard to clean up their waste.

Lastly I know I can anchor java fern onto rocks and wood but what about amazon sword and the chain sword? If I have to bury them in substrate will regular play sand be sufficient? Also how deep will the substrate have to be for the plant to grow?

Thanks again.

You may get into heat issues with the HO lighting. As a T8 lover I am biased, but the compacts and tubes will give you better lighting coverage. The advantage to compacts is you can partialy light the tank and get a really neat looking "sun at an angle effect" and have an axolotl friendly dim zone in the tank too!

(A bit late on the draw I am, but as for the filter you choose, it is really a matter of personal preference. As you stated, you can throttle it back if you need to....)

You may get into heat issues with the HO lighting. As a T8 lover I am biased, but the compacts and tubes will give you better lighting coverage. The advantage to compacts is you can partialy light the tank and get a really neat looking "sun at an angle effect" and have an axolotl friendly dim zone in the tank too!

(A bit late on the draw I am, but as for the filter you choose, it is really a matter of personal preference. As you stated, you can throttle it back if you need to....)

Are T5 HO much hotter than T8?

The main reason I wanted to go T5 was that its the cheapest lighting I can find for a 3ft tank.
A single T8 fitting costs around $120 at a pet store and about $90 online (including shipping) when I can get the double T5 HO for $80 (including shipping).

Edit: those are all aussie dollars

Thought I would chime in to say that I used pure ammonia for my tank. (Don't mess up like I did at first -- make sure the ammonia doesn't have surfactants or ANYTHING but ammonia! The pure ammonia I got was labeled "janitorial strength.")
I've only had my axies for about a week but they seem to be doing just fine, so I don't think it caused any glitches in the cycling. I just used my test kit to monitor the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels and to help me get an idea of how much ammonia to add at first to achieve the starting 4-5ppm level for cycling. The cycling with ammonia took about 2-3 weeks for me, but my tank is smaller than yours and it was running for a few weeks before I started the cycling.

Woops! Just rang the pet shop and the single T8's are $80 :rolleyes:
I'm not sure if one T8 will be enough. Plus I get more for my money if I get the T5.

I'm really concerned about the heat issue as it can get quite hot here in summer (sometimes over 40c) and I definetly cant afford a chiller.

Any ideas/advice would be appreciated (remembering im on a budget).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back