not eating :(

meiriona87

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axolotl has been looking a bit iffy lately. He is over 10 years old, and I was wondering if some of these problems could just be attributed to old age.
I cleaned his tank yesterday because I had noticed he hadn't been eating, and all the old food was accumulating and getting fungusy. I have always just feed him frozen blood worm cubes, and he even eats them off a little plate. He was waiting on his plate right after I clean out his tank, so I tried feeding him. Alas, this morning the worms were still there.
His gills have also shrunken considerably in the past few years. And he has a bump on his back. I talked to the owner of a local pet store, who knows a good amount about amphibians. He told me if the bump was soft it could be a cyst and could be drained. But it's hard, and has been there for over a year...more like a fatty deposit or tumor.
Is there anything I could/should do about these problems, or is my axi just getting old? :confused::(

Hi there.

Age could be a contributing factor but given good water parameters and care these things can last up to 15 years.

When you described food accumulating fungus, this could be an underlying issue.

It is important when feeding your axie to remove any uneaten food within a few hours, as it can quickly deteriorate and foul the water leading to chemistry issues which can directly affect your axie friend.

Adult axies only need feeding 2-3 times a week and I'm certain I've read somewhere that, like us, they can go through periods where they just don't feel like eating.

Couple of questions:

1. How often do you feed?
2. What do you feed as a staple diet?
3. Are his gills forward facing, and his tail tip curled?
3. Is the Axie cloting butt-side up, or struggling to stay on the bottom? This could be the cause of impaction, what substrate do you use?

Try give as much info as possible. Any photos?

I had only just noticed the uneaten food yesterday. I've cleaned all out and will, of course, remove any uneaten food from now on.
I usually feed him every two to three days, and just use frozen blood worm cubes. Water quality is good, perhaps a bit warm but I've been putting frozen water bottles in the tank to fix that.
His gills are not forward facing nor his tail curled, nor other signs of stress. I don't believe he's impacted, no troubles like that.
Maybe it is just old age, or like you said going through a phase where he is not as hungry.
Although I have been a bit worried about his gills seeming smaller than in his younger days, and that bump on his back.
I'll try to get some pictures up later today.
Thanks for your help!

Hi meiriona87,

10 years is a good age for an axolotl although it could well have a few years left. It is often good practice to offer some different types of food, maybe something live like earthworms ( night crawlers in the USA I think) it may stimnulate a feeding response.

Good on you for getting him so old I would love to see a photo. I read in the thf book on axolotls by Scott that as they get older the gills atrophy (shrink) and they become more reliant of skin and breathing through their lungs, this could explain some things maybe.

All right, more problems have arisen in the past few days. Sorry for not replying 'til now.
My axolotl, Spooky, has some really bad fungus problems. The usual salt baths in concurrence with a (safe, don't worry) chemical medication in the tank is not working. The fungus is now growing on one of his legs, which has never happened before. The leg has even begun to curl up. There's also appears to be fungus on one of his eyes. He's not moving much at all and I'm really worried.
I don't know what to do. My mother says maybe he's too old to beat it. Is there anything else I can do to try to get rid of the fungus? Or is he really just too old, and going to die. I'm mostly worried about if the fungus puts him in pain. Even if he is dying is there anything I can do to help him?

The first picture is from almost five years ago...his better days.
The second is from today. You can see the fungus on his eye, gills, tail, back, and foot. :( DSCF0090.JPG

IMG_5922.jpg

Thanks for the advice and help everyone!

I guess my main problem right now is my life affecting how I can take care of my axolotl. My mother is insisting that there's nothing we can do and just to let him die before we have to leave on vacation in three days. Me being only 18, I don't have much power in changing her mind.

Is 10 really old for an axolotl? Would he be able to survive fungus this bad? Would only three days of fridging and saline baths help (because I'm leaving home soon, and the young neighbor feeding our pets could not handle continuing those).
And I really want to know if he's in pain right now?

I could really use some advice on what to do. I don't know of any vets in my area that treat amphibians, otherwise I might try to "board" him as you do with cats and dogs.

Hi Meiriona,

Ten years is indeed on the upper end of axie age, but axies can live for a good couple more years.

How long are you away for? If its for a short duration, this link might be helpful.

http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/vacation_care.shtml

Based on the photos, i suspect your axie has more than just fungal infection. I think it has a concurrent bacterial infection. Fungal infections occur secondary to an underlying condition. This can be stress, being immunocompromised, malnutritioned etc. If i see widespread fungal infection on extremities (tail, gills, feet), i begin to suspect there is something wrong systemically, thats why the fungal infection is so widespread in distribution. I would recommend you bring it to a vet if possible. Try giving a call to your local vets and enquire.

With any iillness, your axie will definitely feel a certain level of discomfort. Your vet might booster it with vitamin and electrolyte supplements and treat any dehydration on top of treating any infections.

Fridging and salt baths are the conservative way to go and can be palliative. You would have to keep water parameters and nutrition top notch as well. Offer plenty of earthworms and blackworms.

I know this may sound a bit harsh but i thought i shall just offer you an alternative option for you to consider. If your axie is rapidly deteriorating, vet fees or expertise is a concern, and you are going away for a long period and require the axie to be in the care of someone else, it might actually be kinder and more practical to put your axie down at the vets. It is not humane to let the axie 'wither away and die' on its own and definitely not viable to rehome the axie when it still requires intensive care and treatment. I hope you understand my honesty in this matter.

Regards

That link was very helpful, thank you! I'll only be gone for about a week.
I am fridging and giving salt baths for the next two days I am home. While I am gone, a trustworhty friend has instructions to use frozen water bottles to keep the tank cool and to put a chemical treatment in the tank (again, it was one on the safe list, don't worry).
That is the best I can do for now. I have called several vets nearby and none deal with axolotls (most people in California haven't even heard of them!).
I hope I am not doing my axie a disservice by not being able to take him to a vet, or not being able to put him down.
And I really really hope he is alive when I get home. :(
Wish me luck. Any extra suggestions for a plan of action are welcome!

Jeez, this is where we should try to get to know axie owners around us.... say in every city/state per country or something.... I'd gladly offer you to look after him somehow, only we are on the opposite sides of the world.. **sigh**

Maybe there is an axie owner near you? I just think it's good to have the back up of each other.

Good luck with your pet

Hi,

Been a week... So how is your axolotl???

Hope he isnt dead:(.

Would be very sad indeed :(.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back