My new babies!!

bitenomnom

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Amanda
...well, sort of. Just wanted to show off the two axies I got today, a few hours after they were put into the tank. Still haven't thought of names for 'em...but aren't they cuties?! (Not that I'm biased.) Any suggestions for names? I was thinking Sir Mixolotl would be a silly name, haha...but...
raz34l.jpg

This little guy is in hiding...
ipwfo9.jpg

Awww, lovely, can't wait to see more photos once they've settled in. Congratulations!

Later last night mister shy over there decided to go out exploring and someone bit off more than he could chew... (*cough* or maybe I cut the worm too big, haha). Thought I'd post the pictures since they're a bit better.

34srlur.jpg

2vazdd2.jpg

Wow. You got yourself a handsome pair. The pic of the wild type hiding is sweet. Do you know what sex they are?

Haha, I thought so too. :) Actually, it's a melanoid. I don't think they can be sexed yet as they're only about 3" long. The albino seems a bit "rounder," but I think that's mostly because (s)he's been eating more. (I am a little bit concerned, because the melanoid hasn't been eating a whole lot and has been flicking his gills a bit more frequently than I think is normal -- but I suspect it's because he's only been in the tank for about a day and isn't adjusting quite as well as the other. The water stats seem fine...)

Really? They are that tiny? You must have a very good camera then. My axie is about 5" and I really struggle to get a close up shot of her that's any good.

Fumi took a few days to settle into her new surroundings too. I think that's expectable really. I was advised by someone yesterday that when your axie isn't happy you've got quite a while to sort out any problems. For instance, if the water quality isn't right, then you have a few weeks to sort it out. They wont just roll over and go belly up... do axies go belly up? Hmmm.... Anyway, I should think your little guy is okay. Apparently they can go weeks without eating. Although it's not ideal and can become a problem after a couple of weeks. Just keep an eye on him/her. Unfortunately when I brought Fumi home there was a lot going on for me (I had to get her then as the store had already been holding her for me for a week). One of my brothers had been in a terrible car crash. He's okay now, but it was touch and go for a while. And so Fumi's homecoming was quite over shadowed and I didn't have time to fuss over her. This probably turned out for the best though as I left her to settle in without me disturbing her too much. She'd settled in by the time I could concentrate on her.

I just got the camera -- it's nice (though it was a hand-me-down). It's a bit tough to get it to focus, though. My brother's an amazing photographer, so he's going to take his super-awesome camera and snap some even better shots for me, once he gets back from vacation.

Yeah, they seem to be calming down a bit. I tried feeding my melanoid (I really need to think of some names!!) some bloodworms today from an infant medicine dispenser (or something...eye-dropper-like) and he really took to that. Of course, the other guy is such a pig -- he got impatient and tried to eat the dropper! I'm not sure if they get the idea of eating them off the ground yet, but...it's a start.

Yeah, I ended up getting my axies just as my family was going on vacation, and right when my two summer math classes started. But I'm really enjoying taking care of them. I wanted some companions for when I go to the dorm next year (the dorms my past year didn't allow pets -- the ones I'm moving into allow aquariums) but wanted something with a bit more...personality. My boyfriend mentioned he'd heard of a kind of salamander that doesn't go terrestrial...and here I am!

Thank you for sharing your photos of your wonderful axolotls.

Wow they are beautiful
I especially love the melanoid!! I want one just like him!

Mel

I managed a few more shots today just after feeding. I was surprised to see the melanoid swallow up an entire quarter of a rather long worm! His mouth seems so small! Of course I was expecting that of my albino; he seems to be pretty adept at gulping down anything (or at least trying, very hard). I love seeing their gills get bright red with all the excitement.

For that reason, I'm thinking of calling the albino Saffron (red = the color of the threads, which look a lot like his/her gills, and yellow = the color saffron threads dye things, and the color of his/her skin). And (it popped into my head out of nowhere this evening) I'm thinking of calling the melanoid Black Velvet, or just Velvet. Especially once I realized that that song (Black Velvet) is about Elvis (I never really listened to the lyrics), since despite his initial shyness, he seems to have that charismatic aura about him. :p

Attachments

• IMG_0883.JPG
    IMG_0883.JPG
    321.9 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0888.JPG
    IMG_0888.JPG
    298.3 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0891.JPG
    IMG_0891.JPG
    322.4 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0887.JPG
    IMG_0887.JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0885.JPG
    IMG_0885.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0890.JPG
    IMG_0890.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 193
Great names! I can see why you chose them. They suit them really well. :happy:

Your golden albino looks like a reindeer with gold antlers, you should call him after a reindeer :happy:

I love the third and fourth pictures, they make Saffron's gills look as though they're made of pure gold!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I think this makes you and I the only active axolotl hobbyists in Nebraska!

(Lets see some wide shots of the whole set up....it looks like you have a winner there too!);)

2vazdd2.jpg

Such poise...such elegance...such refinement...:p A great shot, this one!

You have some lovely axolotls.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I think this makes you and I the only active axolotl hobbyists in Nebraska!

(Lets see some wide shots of the whole set up....it looks like you have a winner there too!);)

Haha, I guess so! (Although maybe not for long once my friends come and see these cuties!)

All right, here are some shots of the setup. It's a 10 gallon for now, and I'll upgrade once these guys get bigger. (Really hoping to find a good deal at a garage sale on a 20 gal!) The water level was lower, but I decided to add more to keep the temperature more stable, and to further reduce the splashing from the filter. (Not sure if you can tell from the picture, but I have a floating fake lilypad sitting right under the filter output.) I'm trust they won't have a problem coming to the surface for a gulp if they must even with the deeper water. I did see Saffron chomp a bubble or two from the air stone the other day. Awww.

Of course the only real plant in there is the java moss, haha. But they're in a really low-light area, so I figure that's just about perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_0894.JPG
    IMG_0894.JPG
    392.5 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0897.jpg
    IMG_0897.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0895.jpg
    IMG_0895.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 240
Haha, I guess so! (Although maybe not for long once my friends come and see these cuties!)

All right, here are some shots of the setup. It's a 10 gallon for now, and I'll upgrade once these guys get bigger. (Really hoping to find a good deal at a garage sale on a 20 gal!) The water level was lower, but I decided to add more to keep the temperature more stable, and to further reduce the splashing from the filter. (Not sure if you can tell from the picture, but I have a floating fake lilypad sitting right under the filter output.) I'm trust they won't have a problem coming to the surface for a gulp if they must even with the deeper water. I did see Saffron chomp a bubble or two from the air stone the other day. Awww.

Of course the only real plant in there is the java moss, haha. But they're in a really low-light area, so I figure that's just about perfect.

Looks like a good set up to me! I agree, especially with smaller tanks, more water is better for axolotls. I fill mine right up to the top. Just make sure you have a cover for it, occasionally they get frisky and make a break for it!

Yup, I've got a cover. (One night I almost forgot to put it back after feeding them -- I got in bed and then leapt back up a few minutes later to run back downstairs and replace the lid!) It's a screen lid...haha, though if the tank is too full there ends up being some water buildup on the wire over where the airstone is. I need to think of some way to fix this because otherwise the mesh may eventually rust through! (Not that the lid was that expensive, but still...)

Yup, I've got a cover. (One night I almost forgot to put it back after feeding them -- I got in bed and then leapt back up a few minutes later to run back downstairs and replace the lid!) It's a screen lid...haha, though if the tank is too full there ends up being some water buildup on the wire over where the airstone is. I need to think of some way to fix this because otherwise the mesh may eventually rust through! (Not that the lid was that expensive, but still...)

I cut a square of plastic from one of those disposable ziploc dishes, and stick it to the underside of the screen cover to act as a droplet deflector. This keeps your cover from rusting, and from getting that annoying Nebraska Hard Water residue on your wall, and tank, and tank stand and floor....;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back