Question: Young maturer?

Spartacus

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Sarah
I received a golden axlotl less than a month ago, its about 6.3-6.7 inches. I'm a tad worried because it already has black toes, yet it's not that big... however its just the very tip of the toes, then it fades to white then yellow. I could just be fretting over nothing.
I'm also worried because I've been waiting for my 8+ inch wildtype's toes to go black, I've just realised they get paler, so I have no idea how mature it is, its toes have always been pale. I've had my wildtype for aout 5 months. Now I'm silently fretting that I might get a wee surprise, haing not attempted to sex them yet. However, none of the cloacal regions looks particularly swollen, and their bodies are basically the same width as their heads. They dont look distinctly like either sex.

I haven't been able to acquire a tank divider yet and I'm not really sure how to go about getting one.
I don't think my local pet store can help me, should I inquire at a company that makes glass?
I'm pretty clueless on the matter. What are average prices for them?

Please help me, I'm fretting (probably over nothing)
As much as I'd love to breed axolotls, I'm in no way prepared for it yet

Hey! My axie is about 5 inches long. She was 4 inches when I got her and she's had "dirty toes" the whole time. So I don't think that's anything to worried about (I say 'she', but I don't know for sure yet either. I just don't like saying 'it'). Even if they are maturing earlier than other axolotls I shouldn't worry. Every one is different. Just look at people and see the differences in the ages we develop.

If neither look like one sex or the other, then I would say that even if you did have a male and a female, that they would be too immature to breed just yet. Their bellies may be small, but they might both be females. You'll have to wait and see. Just keep a close eye on what they are up to. Have a look at this http://www.axolotl.org/breeding.htm

Darkening toe tips CAN be a sign of sexual maturity, but are not the 'end all to be all'.

Some can reach maturity in as little as 6 months, but sometimes it takes as many as 18. The most definite way to know if you have a pair is if fertile eggs show up.

If you DO inadvertently breed them, you can always let nature take its course and leave the eggs in the tank. The parents usually dispose of them in quick time. And the best surefire way to avoid breeding them is to put them in separate tanks.

Even with older axolotls it can still be a mission to sex them. I agree with Kaysie about seperation being the only sfae way to ensure no breeding.

I never thought about just leaving the eggs in there. I'd feel bad culling them but if they get eaten, its not so bad...for my conscience. As long as there are still options. I'll have to look into getting a tank divider because I have no room for another tank, but my current one is large enough to divide up comfortably.
I'll keep an eye out anyway and if I notice any particular signs of a sex I'll post photos so you can help me figure it out
Thank you all, you've put my mind at ease a little more

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back