does spermatophore always = eggs?

axle

Reaction score
Country
Australia
i have 2 females and 1 male in a tank, last time i found spermatophores, eggs were laid soon after.
i just found another spermatophore and was wondering if the females always reciprocate? Or do they sometimes just decide they cant be bothered? lol
I WANT MORE EGGS!!!! hehehe
Anyone know?
Shane, (axle).

Hi Axle,

Assuming the axies are healthy and sexually matured, in the majority of cases eggs will be laid. On the rare occasions eggs are not laid, it could be due to poor nutritional or environmental conditions that are not conducive for breeding. (Ie. high temperatures and poor water parameters).

Cheers

Re: does spermatophore always = eggs?...My Case, YES!!!

Well...

I have no idea why I bothered to wonder if there'd be eggs...
A few hours after my above post... Axle herself began laying eggs.
Very strange though the eggs are half black and half white, I guess that happens when your dad's white and your mum's black:D

I hope I can master the art of hatching brine shrimp before these eggs hatch in around 2 weeks, don't know what temperature I'll grow them at.

ANY tips would help. I had to feed my last batch of larvae to my goldfish because I can't get brine shrimp to hatch!

My parameters are perfect for axolotl breeding but I need to know more than what I've read about the perfect hatching of brine shrimp!

How much salt per litre do people use?
How much eggs?
What temperature?
Special lighting requirements?

I hope to one day master hatching these little critters BEFORE I have hatched axolotls to feed!

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, black and white eggs are quite normal, I got black and white ones from my two leucistics.

Hi Shane,

My Dads Black and my Mums White but I came out a Creamy

Good luck with raising these little guys. When I had a time gap between hatching brine shrimp, I used frozen baby brine shrimp and that worked great!

You successfully fed axolotl larvae frozen baby brine shrimp? I wish i knew this was possible. Every website i have stumbled accross said it wasnt possible.
Will give it a try anyway! Ive got some frozen blood worm around too i should try that as well.
Shane (axle)

Hi Shane,

My Dads Black and my Mums White but I came out a Creamy

I was waiting for someone to comment on the way i put that!
Didnt mean any offence. Im so accepting that i say stupid things that people sometimes take offence too.
I didnt mean anything by it, because to me it doesnt mean anything.
:cool:

You successfully fed axolotl larvae frozen baby brine shrimp? I wish i knew this was possible. Every website i have stumbled accross said it wasnt possible.
Will give it a try anyway! Ive got some frozen blood worm around too i should try that as well.
Shane (axle)

Yes, it works!

In fact I am so lazy I do not even get frozen ones anymore. I use decapsulated brine shrimp eggs for axolotl larvae with outstanding results. It takes them a day or two to realize it is food, but after that it makes feeding a couple hundred neonates a lot easier.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back