Peace Lily

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had great luck using peace lilies as emergent plants and also in damp terrestrial exhibits and terrariums...they even do well when submerged! If you trim the white flower, they are fairly "generic" in appearance and so do not look terribly out-of-place with temperate amphibians. For further information and photos of the plant in use, please see my article The Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum spp.) at http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatr...-versatile-terrarium-plant-for-land-or-water/.

Thanks, enjoy, Frank

They sound like a versatile choice for tanks, I will go on a hunt to see if I can find myself some. Do you think they would be bothered by a flourescent tube light on 5 hours a day?

They do extremely well under most types of lighting. These are a very hardy versatile plant. I currently have a few in one of my tree frog set ups, along with some hosta and polthos.

Please just do not use them for those death trap Betta splendens vases!;)

LMAO I've killed every peacelilly I've ever purchased. Submerged, emersed, whatever - they die.

They do extremely well under most types of lighting. These are a very hardy versatile plant. I currently have a few in one of my tree frog set ups, along with some hosta and polthos.

Please just do not use them for those death trap Betta splendens vases!;)

I thought the bettas were supposed to eat the plant? That's what they always tell us anyway.:rolleyes: I always kept my bettas in a 5 gallon tank with gravel, ornaments, fake plants, and a filter....and the poor little fishies still died. I have had good luck with the plants though, to a point when kept in soil. They all eventually die, but sometimes that takes years. I just feel so bad for the bettas, how they keep them in those tiny little containers that they can hardly turn around in and sell something to unsuspecting people when they buy them that is really not a whole lot bigger.:( No wonder you get them home and they die. They are already halfway there when you get them!:mad: Plus, nobody tells you about cycling the tank either because I guess they are such a (I hate to say it) throw away pet to many people. I think all animals deserve proper care no matter how small or cheap to buy or replace they are!!:angry:

I will step off my soap box now...:blush:

Have a nice day!
Critter Mom

Betta splendas are carnivores not herbivores....I learned the they don't eat the roots the hard way after a few deaths...Shame on me....

In addition to the feeding error the worst part of those vases is the fact the fish are Anabantoids- they breathe air from the surface...the plant often prevents this...

But back on track, Somewhere in the 800 and some odd pictures currently on my camera I have a few pictures of peace lilies in three different types of vivaria. I'll have to dig them out for you folks. The trick is to make sure you have an actual peace lily (Spathiphyllium sp. - I suggest S. silvicola or S. montanum for most amphibian friendly set ups.) and not one of the doppelgangers.

Nice article, Frank! I use a big peace lily in my juvenile snappers' setup as a nitrate sponge. The plant grows and blooms well, the water stays clean longer, and the snappers eat any leaves that droop into the water. Unlike your setups, I left the plant in pot (but removed the soil) simply to prevent the snappers from demolishing the root ball.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back