Question: what type is this?

Spartacus

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Sarah
This is my newest axolotl Haku. I couldn't ignore him after seeing the cool colour at the pet store. I'm just curious, what type is he?
I absolutely adore his blue eyes!
His head seems to be a greenish wildtype colour but his body(sides mainly) is a dirty speckled white/pink. The picture may be off a bit from the night light.
Is it a cross between a wildtype and leucistic?
Thank you in advance for any help

Attachments

• blurry.jpg
    blurry.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 329
  • birds eye view.jpg
    birds eye view.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 281
  • asdfghjkl;.jpg
    asdfghjkl;.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 285
I am stunned! I have never seen this sort of coloration in an axolotl before. At first I thought is was an A. tigrinum sp. larvae! I would not even know what to call it.

However, the color may change a bit as it grows. (He looks a bit skinny, better get him on the earthworms fast!;))

I bet as it ages you will get a more prominent wild type look, but that is just a guess.

Yeah, he's pretty new from the store so I'll be feeding him up as best I can. I always find it difficult to get wee ones to eat much for awhile, but I'll persist!

I'm really really hoping he stays these colours, thats what drew me to him! He's so gorgeous

Wow!! What beautiful eyes! I love his coloration. It will be interesting to see if/how it changes as he grows.

Yeah, I look forward to watching him change but I'm also really hoping he doesn't.
Does anyone else have any ideas what type he might be?

Hi Spatacus ,

I would say its a wild type sometimes referred to as light coloured wild type.

Cool, thanks for that :) I didn't want to run around calling it something it wasn't

Hes probably a light wild type, when he gets older he might look like mine a sort of yellowish bronze wildtype, a nice colour, but bit hard to tell as he could darken.:happy:

Attachments

• Axie2.jpg
    Axie2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 229
Lolol I am prone to naming animals ridiculous things. Running around and doing it, not so much. My snail is called Escargot :p he hasn't ended up as dinner yet.

Ooh, is yours one of the "copper" australian ones? I was curious about whether NZ has any,seeing as we're so close.

My guess is that Haku is a very slow grown leucistic. He is so pale underneath. How big is he?

He was acquired at East Road Pets in Invercargill, but I believe the breeder who supplies them comes from te North Island, they could be from the same batch as the ones you mentioned.

He's no bigger than 14cms I think, I've misplaced my ruler so I'm unable to measure but he's no bigger than my leucistic who is 14cms.

I thought I read if the mother was a light skin variant that the eggs would have no pigment and as they grew if they were going to be a differant type their colors would change, but I saw a video of one on youtube that was white with green/dark blotches near its head and front upper half of its body that appeared to be adult. It was really neat looking.

My guess is that Haku is a very slow grown leucistic. He is so pale underneath.

This has been my experience too - usually all mine that look like this slowly turn leucistic at about 6cm+ (much to my disapointment).

Although I did have one few years ago (from one of the first batches of eggs I raised) that stayed a nice sandy colour. I sold it, thinking I'd get more in the next lot of spawn ~ never did :eek:.

Keep us posted.

He's been at my boyfriends in another city, to quarantine. I get to meet him in a week so I'll take lots of photos and see if there is any change. I hope not, because I think he's pretty cool looking :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back