Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Our Axolotl had an unexpected snack...

axolotl86

Reaction score
So this weekend my five-year old niece was visiting. In truly curious five-year old form, she showed a voracious and loud enthusiasm towards Whoops, our axie, by simply screaming "Pink MONSTER" and laughing repeatedly. Thinking this enthusiasm might be better spent actively, we took her the local scum filled pond and let her catch a few bullfrog tadpoles in a tupperware.

Later that day, thinking the tupperware filled with a fat tadpole was safe on the windowsill, I went to cut apples when I heard a liquidy "plop" and then giggles. Yeah, the tadpole went in with the axolotl.

And the axolotl ate it almost immediately.

My question I guess...is this ok? Should I be worried about parasites?

madFrankie

Reaction score
Is your local "scum-filled" pond in the vicinity of any sources of chemical hazards? by the fact that there's frogs in it I would guess the answer to be 'no' but it's worth checking.
Parasites may be a concern, but I wouldn't be too worried about it as the likelyhood of a tadpole from a clean pond carrying any sort of hazardous parasite is quite low.

Keep an eye on Whoops and look out for any sort of strange behaviour, also check its skin over the next week or so for anything unusual like lumps or sores.

I'd say Whoops will be fine, but observation would be wise.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nutritionally speaking, a tadpole is an excellent snack. There are chemical and parasite hazards, but what's done is done.

axolotl86

Reaction score
Touche. He ate it, he obviously enjoyed it, and now I guess I'll just keep an eye out for anything.

In a side note we did find a piece of a tail in the tank today.

ianclick

Reaction score
I agree with Frank and Jennewt,

When they are around I often feed them to my axolotls all 8 love them. The only possible issues are parasites and chemical leachates but as the ones I catch come from a conservation area they appear, so far to be no risk.

axolotl86

Reaction score
Thanks you guys, I feel better about it. I've been a little worried about whoops ever since last month, when we lost a juvenile axolotl after it stopped eating. So I've been keeping tabs on everything that goes in (and comes out) of the tank.

The pond is clean and home to fish, herons, etc. I think it should be ok.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1