Illness/Sickness: Very Sick Axie, Please Help :[

Raden

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is Kip, a week or two ago I noticed a small scratch on his back which had started to collect white fungus. So I gave him sea salt baths twice a day and fridged him until it started to improve. I moved him back into the tank with his sister less then a week ago and noticed yesterday that the fungus had come back and the scrape was much larger then it had been before.

I'm not sure what caused it and I'd like to know how to completely eliminate the fungus. Here are some pictures so I hope that a solution can be found.

I have also noticed that he has lost some weight since he's been back in the tank. I'm not sure why, I've never seen him show any aggression towards his sister. :(

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

(also he is in a clear glass tank in the pictures, even though it looks like I just plopped him on the table.)

Attachments

• HPIM1099.jpg
    HPIM1099.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 305
  • HPIM1101.jpg
    HPIM1101.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 300
  • HPIM1100.jpg
    HPIM1100.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 273
Hi Raden,

from your phot it looks as if you have an infection as well as fungus. unless you are experienced in administering medication to axolotls I suggest that you take it to a vet. In the interim I would put it back in the fridge.

Hi Raden,

You would need to bring your axie to a vet. Fridging can be palliative but will not be curative. Do NOT use salt baths at this stage. The ulceration is quite deep and the salt baths will actually sting very badly. A course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories will be needed first.

Cheers.

Thank you so much! I would have kept giving him salt baths. I 'll take him to a vet as soon as i can.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back