Before i buy a new Axolotl...

dr34mr

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Phil
With the recent passing of Charlie i was thinking I'd put some feeder fish in her tank for a couple of weeks before i go out and purchase a new axolotl.

I thought it would be a good opportunity to provide some live food, as well as checking that there is nothing in the water waiting pounce on a new axie.

At the moment i have a red snail who came with the tank. I like the idea of a few cherry shrimps and guppies.

Just wondering if you think this is a good idea or if you had any suggestions on what i should put in?

I forgot to add my other question. Where is a good place to get an axolotl in Sydney?

I bought Charlie from an aquarium shop in Castle Hill, but it thought that maybe there was a breeder near me?

Hi Phil,

I guess your sentinel feeder fish approach is feasible. It has the advantage of also quarantining them to ensure they are free of diease and parasites before you introduce a new axie into the tank. You would have to still quarantine them for minimum of 30 days.

You would also have to continue performing regular water parameter checks and water changes.

I bought my leucistic axie a long time back from Kellyville pets. But recently, i found a really good place in newtown that has the widest array of axie colours, all healthy and well kept. Go to the testimonials section of the forum. I wrote an entry about the place.

Cheers.

While Charlie was in the fridge i gave her tank a good clean (I.E. Took everything out, gave it a good vacuum, and did a 25% water change) anticipating that it would give a everything to settle back down before she went back in.

I am still going to do parameter checks, give the tank a quick vacuum, and a small water change every week. I may also add a few new plants, possible Java Moss and Java Ferns. I live across the road from Kellyville pets, so i looked there when i bought Charlie, but they didn't have any that day. Think i'll go and check out the place at Newtown.

Ok i just did a water quality check:

pH: 7.2
Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = 0
Amonia = 0

I was just wondering if was a bad thing to have a low nitrate level in the water? I've seen in other posts it should be in the 5-40 range.

Hi Phil,

What type of test kit do you use? If you are using dipsticks, they are inaccurate.

For a well established cycled tank, i would expect some (at least traces) of nitrates. As they are the final end product from cycling, they tend to accumulate and get removed via water changes and to a lesser extent by some live plants.

Is your tank very heavily planted?

Do you scrub your tank surfaces when you clean your tank? Run your fingers along the surfaces of the glass surfaces or ornaments, does it feel slimy?

Cheers.

I use a liquid test kit, it came with 4 mini test tubes, and 7 bottles of varying test solutions.

I have 4 plants in a 40L tank, i don't know if you call that heavily planted.

When i clean the tank i generally just use a gravel vac and go arround the ornaments, just removing any major buildup and poo. While Charlie was sick and was in the fridge, i took everything out and stuck it in a small tempory tank so could get anything that i normally couldn't reach. I don't scrub anything, as i was told that would kill any good bacteria on the surface.

When i run my finger along stuff in the tank it feels slimy, particully the walls of the tank. It is not consistant on the walls, like you can feel little lumps where the coating is thicker.

Hi Phil,

How long has this tank been set up?

Do you use a filter or air stone? Do you keep it running 24/7?

Do you use a dechlorinator with your water changes?

Cheers.

The tank has been set up for about 4 months, but i changed the substrate from gravel to sand about 2 months ago.

I have an air pump driven filter, which runs all the time. I have a declorinator that i use for water changes.

Hi Phil,

You are doing everything right. I can't really think of what is wrong. Most importantly, you have zero ammonia and nitrites and you still have those slimy tank surfaces. I would not be overly concerned of the zero nitrates in this case. I would speculate it will rise over time when you have a new axie in the tank.

Cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back