hello from nor-cal!!!

First off, welcome to the forum.

Do you know that Tiger salamanders are illegal to own in the state of California?

Welcome to the forum! I have three Chinese firebelly newts myself.
I look forward to your posts!
Critter Mom

If you have illegal newts already in your state, DO NOT release them to the wild. If they are in captivity already, releasing them could spread disease and destroy the ecosystem.

What is the best course of action here? Maybe we can help our friend out here with some suggestions?

wow i was not entirely aware they were illegal here.now does that go for all tigers?

The ban goes not just for all tigers, but for the entire Ambystoma family as well. It's primarily an effort to keep escaped/released Ambystoma, particularly non-native tigers, from hybridizing with the endangered, native California Tiger salamander.

thanks for making me aware of that.i wonder if the pet store that shipped it to me were aware of that.either way i am sure glad to have such a beautiful salamander in my possession,i just cant wait till he starts to morph.:happy:

This thread gives you an idea of the law stating whats illegal. If I was you I would get rid of the salamander you have now, law enforcement officials regularly browse this site looking for information just like what your giving out.

not that i plan to,but how exactly would you suggest that i get rid of him?

You'd have to send it back out of state I suppose.

I'm not an advocate of illegal activity, but if you do end up keeping it anyway, I would try to refrain from posting about it on the forum, because as Justin said, law enforcement officials do browse forums like this frequently.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back