How often should I clean the filter?

groldigger

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have an internal filter (HL-BT200 to be exact) and I was wondering how often I should clean it out. I have noticed that small pieces of waste and other bits are accumulating on the filter. This probably just means it is doing its job and circulating the water; these bits of waste just get sucked onto the filter screen as the water flows through it. None the less I don't want too much waste to gather on the filter because if left there it may contaminate my water.
If I were to clean it regularly wouldn't it destroy all the good bacteria which had been growing in it?
Thanks.

I would clean it twice a week but it more depends on what pets you own and how many.

Yes I'm pretty certain if you were too clean it all the time, you would lose your bacteria.
I think most people know themselves when it's ready for a clean, i think most people clean theirs every 3 months, i myself clean it properly around this time, but if anything is clogged up, i'll use a toothbrush to get it off then "hoover" the junk up. This is just my personal experience, which seems to keep the water in good quality. I've never really researched this question myself. I'm sure someone will be able to give you a dead on answer :)

Ok, well I am running a Rena xP4 (rated for tanks 265gal) on a 55gal tank with 4 axies in it. I cleaned it after about 4 weeks of running it because the flow was decreased to almost nothing from the gunk built up from the axies. Keep in mind this filter is made for tanks up to 265gal, and its only running on a 55 with 4 axies. Change it alot. :lol:

As for the bacteria, you tank should harbor enough bacteria to handle the changing, but it wouldnt hurt to not change it every time, but to clean off the filter (rinse and lightly rub). This will keep most of the bacteria thats good and get rid of all the bad stuff.

Mark

I LOVE Rena filters!

As far as cleaning, the best way to clean your filter pads is to rinse them well in a bowl of tank water (which is then disposed of). This keeps the tap water from killing your bacteria.

Forgot to mention about the tank water, thanks Kaysie. I loce the filter too! Got it brand spankin new for an unbeatable price....FREE! :D:D:proud:

Mark

On the topic of cleaning filters, when do you guys think I should I change the wool and carbon in my corner box filter, I have no idea how dirty it should be before it should be changed. Also when do you change the carbon, after 3 wool changes? not sure. :confused:

Can you take the wool out and clean it? I often just kind of rinse it out, rubbing it against itself in the water. Cleans it up pretty well. I replace the wool in my filter when it starts to fall apart from the repeated washings.

As far as carbon, I don't bother with it.

Hi Kaysie,

Whats the actual purpose of the carbon in the filter is it supposed to absorb toxins or something, it seems to make the water small fresher for a while but then it doesn't do much later. Apparently there an earthworm stuck in my filter wool, I don't know how it got in there, im not even sure if it still alive, seems like a pain ill have to dismantle the filter and take it out.

Well, you can't leave the worm in there. It will eventually die and rot and foul your water. Filters have to be cleaned. It's the nature of the beast.

As far as carbon, activated carbon is touted to 'remove toxins', but unless your tank has toxins (like medication), there's really not much of a need for it. And you have to refresh it all the time. I've just never had a need for it. I rely heavily on biological filtration and less so on mechanical filtration and pretty much ignore chemical filtration.

Ive always heard carbon was supposed to make the water more clear also.

Mark

Hi guys,

I just bought a small submersible filter with a small sponge and carbon, it filters about 200 liters and hour and is for a 60 liter tank it has spray bar option under water bubbler with air adjutment and jet stream.. Ive been thinking of using it in conjunction with my box filter or would that be overkill? Which mode is best the spray bar you think?

Ive got a pic of how big my tank is. We all know how messy these guys are when they feed so you think it would be a good idea to have 2 of them? as I think they are more efficient at mechanical filtration then the box filter. Could you turn it off every now and then if the water is clean or should I keep the filter running non stop?

Kaysie, I took the worm out of the box filter he was still alive and kicking after several days, there must be some oxygen in there and then I fed him to one of my axies yum! filtered worms.:happy:

Attachments

• My tank 2 s.jpg
    My tank 2 s.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 830
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back