Unusual growth on axolotl

samuel

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have had a black axolotl for 18 months . In the last few months it has had a growth coming out of its body where the front leg comes out of the body , it is the same colour as the rest of the body and is now hanging onto the rest of the body by a small thread. This doesn't seemed to have any effect on its appetite or energy.Does anybody know what this is?

Is there any way possible to get a picture of the growth?

101_1235.jpg This picture shows the growth

Thats definitely some kind of tumour probably benign, but I cant be sure not an expert on them. You might have to get the vet to cut it off or check it out.

Oh Samuel, so sorry, i would have responded earlier if i came across this thread.

It does look more like a disorder of growth (tumour) rather than an inflammatory process like an abscess. However, the only way to be certain is to get a biopsy and get a histopathological analysis.

A lot of tumours are in a dynamic continuum state where something benign one day can develop into something malignant later. Even a benign growth can cause compressional damage to regional organs, nerves and vessels. The trouble with the growth on this axie is that it is located in an awkward position on the body. This growth can impede movement, get ulcerated (due to being abraded on substrate), and prone to subsequent infection.

The best treatment is surgical excision of the lesion and a vet consult is quite necessary.

There is nothing else palliative you can do. There is no neessity for fridging or salt baths etc.

Cheers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back