Buds gills.

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Buds gills are a lot longer on one side of his head than on the other and I'm wondering if this is just a growth defect where he lost some gills before or anything to worry about? The shorter ones are not damaged or anything and appear normal but the longer ones seem to be getting even longer than when I first got him and the size difference is very noticeable. I will get a new photo of him when he comes out of hiding to show what I mean.
Cheers,
J.

bud probably got bitten by other freindly axolotls or fish in the pet shop, mine has similar gills which why I sometimes call him half gills. Interestingly half gills also gulp more then my other axie, but otherwise hes pretty healthy:happy:

Here's a pic :happy:

Attachments

• half gill 3.jpg
    half gill 3.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 184
The gills on the left (Bud's right) look like they've been broken off awhile ago. They look healthy to me, though - and so does Bud. Not to mention being awfully pretty.

-Eva

Buds gills are like your axies Zolotl but the opposite way around. Also the tallest centre gill is forked... I guess it all just comes down to cannibalism in the pet store. Oh and Bud also gulps a lot more air than my other axie just like your Zolotl.

@Blueberlin. That photo is Zolotls axie. Here is a photo of mine:

Attachments

• Image143.jpg
    Image143.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 214
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back