Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Potential New Axolotl Owner

Wiconrad

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I fell in love with Axolotl's at first sight and since then (about 4 months ago) I've been wanting to get one very badly.

I have a friend who is trying to get a rid of a 50 gallon tank -- would it be okay for me to just pop one right in there or do I need to start these guys out in a smaller tank first?

Also, I know absolutely nothing about a filtration system but I'd like to get some recommendations from all across the board and if you could include price ranges for filtration systems that would be great.

And what would a balanced diet for an axolotl consist of? I read that earthworms are pretty good, but that's pretty much all I really know.

Thanks,

Chris

Aimee

Reaction score
Hi there :happy:

A 50 gallon tank could comfortably house about 4-5 axies and housing juvenilles or adults in a smaller tank to begin with is not necessary. However, before you put a new axie into your tank, it must first be cycled. Since this process takes about 30 days or so, you could house your axie in a smaller tank while you wait as long as your perform about a 20% water change daily.

As far as filtration goes, you want one that makes as little current in the water as possible...axolotls can get stressed if your water flow is too strong. I would also suggest against an undergravel filter as axies tend to clog them up, making them more trouble than they're worth. I'm not really sure about the prices of filters for this size aquarium since I house mine separately in smaller tanks.

Make sure the substrate you use is too big to fit in their mouth! Gravel is not good for them because they'll eat gravel! 3 months after I bought my first axie, he started pooping out blue gravel rocks from the pet store I bought him from. You wouldn't believe the amount of gravel he had packed in his little tummy! My guys all have small rocks about 2" around for substrate and that seems to work fine. You could also opt for no substrate at all.

For food, axies will literally try to eat everything! My guys get processed salamander pellets on a regular basis (found in most pet stores). Additionally I feed mine crickets, meal worms, and freeze-dried brine shrimp on a not-so-regular basis. About once a month I even throw them a frozen pinky or a feeder fish. Earthworms are good too! A variety in the diet makes for a healthy axie.

I hope this helped a little. I'm sure a lot of others around here can give you more info on filters and the like.

Good luck!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If you start a couple small axies in a 50 gallon tank it should easily take the bioload without cycling. Set the tank up with decent biological filter. Plunk the axy in and watch the ammonia. If the ammonia spikes to high do some water changes. A couple small axies fed conservatively in a large tank should be fine without cycling first. Your tank will be even better after completely cycled. Axolotls grow fast. You can keep 4 to 6 adult axolotls in a 55 gallon tank.

Wiconrad

Reaction score
Mm thanks for the help guys.

I'll look at that site in a second and see if I have any further questions besides how much do axies cost?

Wiconrad

Reaction score
Would these filters suffice?

an Aquaclear 300 on the tank and a Whisper undergravel filter.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Would these filters suffice?

an Aquaclear 300 on the tank and a Whisper undergravel filter.

I'd skip the undergravel filter. I wouldn't put u.g. filter on an axy tank unless it was hooked up reverse flow. Standard set up u.g. filters are a pain to clean. Aquaclear 3oo should be o.k. I'd stuff in some ceramic media for more biological filtration.

axygirl20

Reaction score
Although im from the UK i hope this helps.
I got my axies for about £10 but this was before they became the new thing to get. I have seen them for about £20 now but sometimes they are more or less it depends on where you get them from.
Before you buy one go round different places and check not for price but for the best looking animals with regards to their enviroment, looks (health) and their social behaviour. Ask the store owner questions about the history of the animals before you buy. Some places see them as a profit and dont take good care of them (am speaking for experiance).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1